• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm under no illusion that the NRA coursework is anything more than a basic primer. No one will dampen my excitement over it though

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The NRA basic pistol instructor cert is well known to be basically useless for anything beyond "I have a certification". I've personally watched more than a few dudes struggle with it at the HQ range, and what they were asked to do was no great challenge. If someone gives credentials as an instructor and puts any emphasis on that certification, huge red flag.

That said, it's not like the MD W&C training requires any great skill as a shooter or instructor. Bore people with a slide deck for 12-16 hours and then try to remediate their garbage grip and trigger control enough so that they can just barely pass a super easy qual.
    As someone who holds the nra BOPS, among other certs, I agree wholeheartedly with your post! I will say that the CCW curriculum is better but still very rigid and precludes certain things that I believe offer valuable options.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    As someone who holds the nra BOPS, among other certs, I agree wholeheartedly with your post! I will say that the CCW curriculum is better but still very rigid and precludes certain things that I believe offer valuable options.
    I only take NRA certs when I believe I have literally no other choice but to have them. One of these days, I will go and do Rangemaster, even if I have to travel for it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I only take NRA certs when I believe I have literally no other choice but to have them. One of these days, I will go and do Rangemaster, even if I have to travel for it.
    Hit hogarth up. I think he did Rangemaster somewhere.

NRA rso and crso are such widely recognized benchmarks that I consider them worth having.

I actually liked a lot of the CCW curriculum. It's just typically inflexible. The test is definitely more practical than BOPS. Given the choice, I'd teach an outlaw curriculum but, if mandated by a state to stay with a national organization lesson plan I'd do the CCW curriculum.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I have multiple red-dotted .22s you can borrow if you need. It's what I used in my instructor qual. Makes a huge difference.
    That’s a heck of an offer! Thank you. I may be in touch if my new TX22 (it gets out of 7 day jail tomorrow) doesn’t do what I hope.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Can always help you as well especially since we're in the same class
    That’s awesome! I really appreciate it, I am hoping I will be all set after shooting the new TX22 tomorrow, but it’s nice knowing I have a potential back up. I have been practicing with the 9mm all afternoon, and getting pretty close to a 6” group but I think the 22 is the cats meow.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree the NRA CCW is rigid and deficient to some degree. In my opinion, the NRA CCW Powerpoint presentation sucks in comparison to the old Personal Protection Outside the Home book and instructor guide.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I agree the NRA CCW is rigid and deficient to some degree. In my opinion, the NRA CCW Powerpoint presentation sucks in comparison to the old Personal Protection Outside the Home book and instructor guide.
    I never did PPOTH. I've seen the slide deck but never credentialed in it. I did CCW because the opportunity came up. Good TC. Never really planned on teaching it. I may someday. I just viscerally dislike anything as rigid as the nra curriculum. I've seen rooms full of people who would be left behind if the pace of the CCW class.was maintained and rooms full of people bored absolutely stiff by material as presented in BOPS.

Doing precision rifle stuff, there is a definite need to read the room and then assess the line once they start shooting. Sometimes you can really move ahead but other times there's a lot of remediation to do in what I consider the "rifle marksmanship" department. I shudder to think about a rigid plan for such a class.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I never did PPOTH. I've seen the slide deck but never credentialed in it. I did CCW because the opportunity came up. Good TC. Never really planned on teaching it. I may someday. I just viscerally dislike anything as rigid as the nra curriculum. I've seen rooms full of people who would be left behind if the pace of the CCW class.was maintained and rooms full of people bored absolutely stiff by material as presented in BOPS.

Doing precision rifle stuff, there is a definite need to read the room and then assess the line once they start shooting. Sometimes you can really move ahead but other times there's a lot of remediation to do in what I consider the "rifle marksmanship" department. I shudder to think about a rigid plan for such a class.
    Exactly. I tailor each class to the participants. To do that you can't teach 80 students at once like some of the big ranges do.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Exactly. I tailor each class to the participants. To do that you can't teach 80 students at once like some of the big ranges do.
    Typically it's no more than 5:1 for me. I like 4:1 ideally. Fortunately,we have plenty of good people to run stuff. I suspect you have similar approach. I don't actively do w&c. Get the odd request due to being listed on MDSP but I refer to guys I know who do it consistently.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Welp my QHIC was approved today, I filed about a week ago through eMDSP. I got the certificate and approval letter with instructions in two separate emails.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Larry Quandahl did the old PPOTH I believe. He left NRA, and they make some other cuts to their staff, not sure who they had do CCW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom