• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScottW

MDS Supporter
    Jul 16, 2022
    Cockeysville
    Was wondering if anyone on here is using the A&D FX120i scale, with the V4 auto trickler? I have the scale and have been on the waiting list for a number of months now for the V4. Hope it will be here in august or early September, it was ordered in March. Just wondering how you like it, if you have it and how consistent to the requested throws the actual drops are. Thanks.

Last edited:

ScottW

MDS Supporter
    Jul 16, 2022
    Cockeysville
    No experience but:

Thanks, I appreciate it. I got an email from them yesterday, basically telling me to be patient, it’s coming. The scale is really fantastic, it truly measures to one kernel of powder. I’m fighting for tens of thousands of an inch in my groups, so sometimes a very small amount of powder can be a huge thing.

Last edited:

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I love mine it’s extremely accurate to the kernel with H4350 another member did a test with a highly sensitive labs scale and it was pretty spot on i believe his scale went to milligrams

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I've used mine with H4350, Varget and... Trail Boss lol. Worked very well with the stick powders. Consistently within 0.02 gn. Had a hard time getting it dialed in for 3.0 grains of Trail Boss, but got it to do an OK job, just slow. Quite happy with the unit overall.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I measured to 0.000x g (lab balance – that is tenths of a milligram) 30 throws of H4350 from deerassassin22’s machine and although I cannot seem to find the spreadsheet with the results I remember that the throws were VERY good (excellent precision). Not always to a granule/kernel as I recall, but VERY good. (deerassassin22 – do you still have the data?) I remember there was a significant difference in throw precision related to one specific setting on the machine, a setting that uses software to compensate for scale drift – you want this OFF for maximum precision – use frequent zero/tares instead.

Comparatively - I use a Chargemaster with the intake, feed tube and software all modified for improved precision, which make it quite slow, and the throws from deerassassin22's machine with the best settings were MORE precise. Nice machine!

ScottW

MDS Supporter
    Jul 16, 2022
    Cockeysville
    I measured to 0.000x g (lab balance – that is tenths of a milligram) 30 throws of H4350 from deerassassin22’s machine and although I cannot seem to find the spreadsheet with the results I remember that the throws were VERY good (excellent precision). Not always to a granule/kernel as I recall, but VERY good. (deerassassin22 – do you still have the data?) I remember there was a significant difference in throw precision related to one specific setting on the machine, a setting that uses software to compensate for scale drift – you want this OFF for maximum precision – use frequent zero/tares instead.

Comparatively - I use a Chargemaster with the intake, feed tube and software all modified for improved precision, which make it quite slow, and the throws from deerassassin22's machine with the best settings were MORE precise. Nice machine!
    Thank so much for the great info. I’ve heard some really great things about the setup and can’t wait for mine to arrive. If you guys ever find that spreadsheet, please let me know. I would really like to see the data.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Attached is a screenshot of a test I did once I got the V4. The real purpose was to set up and weigh my existing loads and see how precise I was able to be with my old method. Secondary was testing out the V4. Also attached are a couple photos of my old 505 scale, lighted magnifying glass and black background. Worked very well, but slllloooowww. Results in terms of precision are essentially the same.

Attachments

• Scale vs V4.jpg
      Scale vs V4.jpg
      72.2 KB · Views: 64
    • signal-2022-08-03-10-41-23-763.jpg
      signal-2022-08-03-10-41-23-763.jpg
      439.2 KB · Views: 74
    • 20220216_202942.jpg
      20220216_202942.jpg
      250.5 KB · Views: 63

ScottW

MDS Supporter
    Jul 16, 2022
    Cockeysville
    Attached is a screenshot of a test I did once I got the V4. The real purpose was to set up and weigh my existing loads and see how precise I was able to be with my old method. Secondary was testing out the V4. Also attached are a couple photos of my old 505 scale, lighted magnifying glass and black background. Worked very well, but slllloooowww. Results in terms of precision are essentially the same.
    Thanks so much, very interesting.

On your first tests were you using the dippers and a manual trickler to throw your charges? Then weighing them on the 5-0-5 and comparing them to the FX120i? I’m just trying to make sure I understand the spreadsheets. Looks the the FX120i is weighing a tad heavy against the beam scale, if I’m reading right.

On the last set that says “AutoTrickler” was the amount on the left, your input into the software and the figure on the right, what it actually threw, as measured on the scale?

What is really slow, the V4? I had read that there are several settings that vary the precision vs speed, is that true? I mean, I want the most precision, so if you were using that setting, I can expect it to run slow then, I guess.

It takes me forever to do loads anyway, so that is not a big deal really to me. I’m kind of a person that “shoots to reload” rather than the opposite. I get most of my enjoyment reloading and fooling around with all the tools. I love shooting, but it’s really kind of an end result to test theories that I come up with reloading.

Sorry for all the questions, but you’re the first person that actually uses one, that I have been able to shotgun with questions. Thanks again for the great info.

Scott

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    No sweat. You are welcome to check it out. My old setup was an RCBS powder throw, then would trickler the remainder. For this particular moment, I just used the dippers because I didn't have the powder throw set up. I was weighing out what I thought was 45.0000000 grains (lol) for Varget, then weighing on the FX. This was to see how precise I was and to see what my "45.0" grain load actually weighed. Same deal for the 43.0 H4350 on the 5-0-5. Then, on the Autotrickler, I entered 43.0 and then read the resulting weight.

Edit to add: the powder throw + trickler is very slow. The autotrickler is as quick as I can seat bullets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom