e) 92a1, px4
    f) usp 9, p30
    g) cz75b, 75 sp-01
    h) fnp-9, fnx-9
    i) taurus......juuuust kidding, they suck
    j) stoeger cougar
    k)********WALTHER P99AS, WALTHER PPQ*******
    l) 226, 228, 229

2) take list of decent guns to local range where you can rent guns. On-target, continental arms...

3) rent guns and shoot them. Find what you like to shoot the best, and what you get the best groups with. If the range allows, also see which gun you can most easily mag-dump into a target. Guns you get the tightest bullseye groups with may not be the fastest. You may get a tighter group with an xd(m) than the m&p, but you'll probably find the m&p faster to accurately shoot due to less muzzle flip.

4) Buy the gun you've found best suits your needs of those you tried.

factors to consider:
    1) what options do you want?
    safeties- external safeties are literally a lever that makes your gun not work. If you need your gun to work in a hurry, something that makes it NOT work may be a bad thing. Just remember you'll have to train to turn off an external safety till it's second nature. Slide mounted safeties like the berettas can be more cumbersome to disengage than the frame mounted safeties like on the cz's, hk's, and fnh's. You may decide passive safeties, like on glocks/m&p's/xd's, fit your needs better

hammer vs. striker- Hammer fired are generally going to be da/sa with an external safety and/or decocker. It means you'll have to engage a manual safety and/or decock it for "safe" carry. If it's decocked, you'll have to press through a long/heavy first shot and then immediately transition to a short/light second. Striker fired guns have consistent trigger pulls every shot.

striker fired guns also have the main firing group tucked inside the slide. It's harder for crap to get into a striker channel to cause problems firing than for something to block a falling hammer(totally applicable in the real world). Strikers do have faster lock times than hammer fired guns. It's also easier to whack a slide in to battery on a striker-fired gun(shhhh, so what if it makes a misformed case stuck worse in the chamber) since you can hit the rear of the slide without a hammer in the way.

Striker fired guns also have better lower halves. They don't need to fit a main-spring into the rear of the handle or house a rotating hammer. All they have to fit is a sear of some kind to catch the striker and a magazine(mag catch, slide catch, locking block, rails, trigger, safeties..yeah...but u get my point). This means striker fired guns generally have the potential to have smaller grips and a lower bore-axis since you can undercut the slide more at the rear to get a higher grip(especially on the m&p).

glock and hk vs anything else- If you end up getting a glock OR an hk, you can talk about how everyone else's guns suck and they should have gotten a glock/hk. If you get the hk, you also have the option to claim operators only use hk's...and that civilians suck. Be sure to take pictures of your hk with a backwards cartridge topping off your mag.

m&p or xd/xd(m)- These give you the option to talk about how they are great for IDPA and how happy you are with your apex/PRP trigger upgrade. m&p allows you to dance around while watching magpul handgun videos and pretend you are costa in your living room

walther p99- allows you to shoot tiny groups with an amazing trigger(although more flip than a m&p). Also allows you to say, "(insert last name),...(insert first name)(insert last name)", in a brittish accent in front of a mirror.

taurus- allows you to say that taurus's really don't suck and people are just hating because of what they read online....just don't tell them about those light strikes or ftf's you sent it back to the factory for....only to have your gun returned a month later with no work done to it.

fnh's- allow you to say how the fn pistols are just as good as hk, but half the price....even if the safety/decocker feels light and less affirmative in comparison.

sigs- allow you to go swimming with your gun. Be sure to wear a booney hat and sneakily pop up, look around menacingly and resubmerge

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    ****PWI warning****

m&p or xd/xd(m)- These give you the option to talk about how they are great for IDPA and how happy you are with your apex/PRP trigger upgrade. m&p allows you to dance around while watching magpul handgun videos and pretend you are costa in your living room

:lol:

Costa is the second best M&P salesperson, next to Obama!!!!

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    i am in the same perdicament right now but i have it narrowed down to two different pistols the s&w m&p9 and the ruger sr9 the m&p feels sligthly better in my hands and is of slightly better quality imo but the sr9 has a better trigger, better sights, and looks better imo. i am leaning more towards the sr9 but you can not go wrong with either one. hope this helps

ps. i am going to be renting both of these on a range day and deciding which one i like to shoot more and that will be the one i take home.

i suggest you do the same with your choices.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    +1 Stoeger Cougar.

I have one, and I knew I was going to buy it the minute it hit my hand. The ergonomics are fantastic, and both the decocker and mag release can be used by lefties (you have to switch the release around). The rotating barrel cuts down on recoil as well.

It's essentially the same as the Beretta Cougar, even made on the same machines and under the same supervision. Just made in Turkey. The slide even has the Beretta Accokeek factory location on it.

I think Benelli even owns Stoeger.

And for $400, you can't go wrong. Haven't read a bad review on it yet, and you won't get one from me. The only problem I've had is finding additional mags because the cougar is so new and the Beretta has been out of production for a while.

You can use all of the Beretta Cougar accessories you can find, though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Since you were looking at 1911 as well as 9mm, I shot the smith and Wesson pro series 1911 9mm recently and it was great. May want to put that firearm on your list to examine.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Here are a few of my recommendations -

1st. Walther PPQ or P99
    2nd. Sig P2022

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Glock 26, it's good enough for the Black Widow (Avengers for the uninitiated) fighting alien zombies, it's good enough for me.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Glock 19, MP9, PPQ all great great firearm.

I have the first two, and I love them both in their own unique way.

Glock is very easy to change caliber by changing barrel or slide, and there is a TON on stuff you can do to it to personalize your firearm and due to its massive production, most of the parts are very affordable.

MP9 is the new wave of standard. I can play Costa in my living room jumping over sofa, very solid and ergo build and earned a great reputation in competition. Like Glock, you can personalize, mod it as well, cost a bit more with less option.

And honestly, most of the people get either one of those as their first firearm, and there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

AND THAT'S EXACTLY THE REASON WHY YOU SHOULD GET PPQ!!!
    PPQ is rare, hardly see it at the range, makes you different from everyone else. I would love to get my hands on them, but still can't over come $49 price tag on the factory magazine...................

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I have the Glock 17, M&P Pro, and the 92fs in 9mm. I love all 3 but the only thing I would say about the 92fs is the front sight is a larger pain to replace since it is fixed.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I agree the mags for the PPQ are expensive and hard to find. I was lucky enough to find some on the internet for a great price. They have the S & W plate on the bottom of them, but for the price (5 for $120) I couldn't pass that deal up. And they have a lifetime warranty.

PM me if interested

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    ****PWI warning****

1)identify guns to shoot:
    a) m&p-9
    b) xd-9, xd(m)-9
    c) g17, g19, genIV g17, genIV g19
    d) sr-9
    e) 92a1, px4
    f) usp 9, p30
    g) cz75b, 75 sp-01
    h) fnp-9, fnx-9
    i) taurus......juuuust kidding, they suck
    j) stoeger cougar
    k)********WALTHER P99AS, WALTHER PPQ*******
    l) 226, 228, 229

taurus- allows you to say that taurus's really don't suck and people are just hating because of what they read online....just don't tell them about those light strikes or ftf's you sent it back to the factory for....only to have your gun returned a month later with no work done to it.

gee, I had it narrowed down to Jennings, Hi-point and Taurus.... Now what?

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I got an fnp-9 a few months ago. I've put 700 rounds through it with one cleaning right after i got it to get that storage gunk off, and another after about 100 rounds, and not one hiccup yet, using steel, aluminum, and various brass cased ammo. I can cloverleaf shots at 10 yards or so.

I shoot it better than a glock, but that's probably just because I dont have the same trigger time with a 19.

I also just like hammer fired more than striker.

I want to put another thousand or two rounds through it before I'm happy, but I can say it's my favorite firearm right now.

My one complaint would be the lack of aftermarket stuff for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom