• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GDM

Jan 11, 2009
    North Potomac
    going deeper down this rabbit hole:

Can anyone tell me about the Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle II 9mm Compact or sub compact ?

Love my Jericho 941R, which is the grandfather of the Jerichos / Baby Desert Eagles. CZ-75 derivatives, earlier models have a lot of interchangeable parts with CZ-75 and Tanfoglios.. Great shooter. All around underrated, IMHO. Just keep in mind that the steel framed versions are heavy, not sure how the polymer versions compare.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Some of the most reliable and dependable pistol are the old 3rd gen smiths. I'd like to find a 6906 in great shape.

TD

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for all the continuous suggestions,, I am researching ALL of them.
    I am out in God's country (WY) this weekend and stopping in LGSs and checking checking these out.
    I did handle the CZ 75 compacts incl "01", withe the 3.75" barrel, they are slightly more than I am looking for.
    The Kimber micro did not feel good,, felt to skinny?

An issue that has come to light is there is no compact hammer fired pistol that is easily adapted for reflex sights. After my aging eyes have experienced the seamless adaption of the shield SMSC on my Hellcat,, I could not settle for an after thought plate mount and extra tall irons.
    I was told it has to do with the way hammer fired slides have way more going on underneath vs a striker fired.

Guess that is why there is 1000 outfits milling striker slides for $90 and a hammer slide mount involves $300 milling, special plates and extra tall irons.

Still searching

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Lots of great guns being mentioned, but I have never mistaken a P229 for a 'compact' gun.

It always has been. Its a relative term... relative meaning compact by comparison to a duty gun.

It was designed and marketed as a compact version of the full-size P226. It is nearly identical in size to the CZ-75 Compact models, just a bit 'chunkier', and the same length as the Glock 19, with a longer grip. Every single model of the P229 available right now has 'compact' in the name.

https://www.sigsauer.com/firearms/pistols/p229.html

The P224/CZ2075 and similar size are subcompacts. Sig calls the 365/938/238 etc 'micro compacts'.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Thanks for all the continuous suggestions,, I am researching ALL of them.
    I am out in God's country (WY) this weekend and stopping in LGSs and checking checking these out.
    I did handle the CZ 75 compacts incl "01", withe the 3.75" barrel, they are slightly more than I am looking for.

How will you carry it? The only time the P01/PCR feels too long to me is AIWB. If not carefully positioned it can poke your thigh when you sit. The RAMI fits better there. If the muzzle mass bugs you, the PCR is much slimmer there even though the barrel length is the same.

An issue that has come to light is there is no compact hammer fired pistol that is easily adapted for reflex sights. After my aging eyes have experienced the seamless adaption of the shield SMSC on my Hellcat

Too big?

https://www.sigsauer.com/p229-legion-rx-compact.html

229-rxp-dasa-left.jpg

I haven't been interested in optics on pistols before, but that looks pretty hot.

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    This.
    The ergonomics are awesome, and it’s freakishly accurate. Double-stack magazine, 12+1 (!!!).
    The commie 9mm (9x18mm) goes right now for $0.34/round.
    United Gun Shop has three right now on consignment— for below $300. If nothing else, go and try it out.
    The only downside for you — will probably require shipping it off to a gunsmith to put on a rail, like you want.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    So, Still looking.
    I hit 4-5 LGSs in WY and CO,, the only thing anyone had was CZ 75 compacts and P-01s and a Beretta 92?
    HATED the Beretta de-cocker,, required a complete had shift to work, and looks like the PX4 has the same decocker.

On paper: Sig P229 (larger and expensive), Sig P224, liked what I see but too expensive. (900-1000).
    The Bersa and Grand Power decockers stay in "locked" or "DAO" when you decock, so they are out.
    The HK P30SK looks perfect,, but yet to see one in a store.

Anyhow, I LOVED the way the CZ 75D Compact and CZ 75 P-01 felt in the hand,, and the decocker worked well.
    The 3.75 barrel is "slightly" longer than I want,, but that may be an uneducated, preconceived notion I have.

I am Thinking the CZ RAMI or the HK P30SK may be perfect,,, If I can find them to at least hold,, then purchase at a reasonable cost.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I was all in on the GP P11, till I watched videos of the controls.
    When you flip the "Safety lever" down, it de-cocks,, but does not return to the center DA/SA position,, BUT stays down in DA only mode.

A lot of products, the manufacture piles on "Features" trying to make the product more attractive, but screws up the simplicity of it.

I just want a lever or button that I push to safely de-cock it, that then springs back to "Normal function" position.

Certain models of Grand power have a DAO mode which is interesting. I can check which model my buddy has but thought it was neat.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/tested-grand-power-p11-pistol/

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    So, I am really zeroing in on the CZ RAMI,,
    I called CZ-USA and talked to them, of course the RAMI was discontinued earlier this year.
    They said it will NOT be coming back, but that "Line" is "being replaced with striker fired polymer" pistols.

OH GOODY,, more striker fired polymers!!

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I am stuck in my decisions,,,
    I may have to buy 3 guns: CZ 2075 D RAMI, CZ 75 P-01 Omega, CZ P-07 OD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl