• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Anyine have suggestions on good HD ammo for a 9mm carbine? Specifically I'm dealing with a ruger PC9. Ideally I'd like to be able to use it effectively in a pistol also.
    Any suggestions?

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. I keep a couple mags loaded up with that Hornady Critical Defense ammo. The stuff is designed to work in smaller pistols, not carbines, but I figure that is an advantage in a HD situation where you are dealing with short distances. I also have lots of over-penetration concerns where I live - this is a nod to that problem.

At short, HD range, I figure it ought to do the job. I'd get heavier ammo if I wanted to reach out longer distances, but I really don't see myself shooting through concealment or at somebody behind cover inside my house. I'd rather be able to take the shot if I need to instead of holding up because I'm afraid it will kill one of my neighbors.

BTW, this is not my primary HD gun, but it is a backup.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I don't plan on shooting very far either but I would like to know what is most effective. This isn't my primary HD weapon either but.....
    I guess I am curious how a good HD pistol round performs out of a 16in barrel.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Find some hot stuff like the Fiocchi "police" load or Hirtenberg that's loaded to NATO spec for subguns.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Any decent SD ammo that your rifle will feed will work. That's the rub, though. My Sub2000 choked on some of the WWB JHPs that my wife had laying around. I haven't tried any other JHPs since it's my competition PCC. I use a Mini-14 for HD.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    My personal opinion is Federal HST 124gr +p. If not, Speer Gold Dot is a close second, followed by Winchester Ranger T-Series or Ranger Bonded. I've heard good things about the Remington Golden Sabers in 124 +p but have not personally researched them as much (I was sticking to rounds that police officers I know are issued, of which I didn't know any who carried Golden Sabers).

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I am partial to the Remington golden saber 124 grain JHP +P cartridge. It feeds reliably on my HK 94,MP5, UZI ,colt 635 , macs . It also has enough power to cycle and eject reliably. I avoid WWB ammo for SMG/carbine use. It is often too anemic to fully cycle the bolt on Subguns and results in runaway bolts on macs and Uzi smg. Aguilar also makes an affordable 9 mm +p hollow point that feeds really well in carbines

Carbines also like ball ammo. They are most reliable when fed that kind of ammo. However, for defensive loads. A hollow point that resembles a ball round in profile and has enough power works best. While some pistol rounds work well in pistols. They may pose issues with carbines. Try to find one that works in your particular carbine and stay with it. Also, make sure that the ammo functions reliably by shooting it a lot before you designate it as a defensive round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom