• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichA

Mar 30, 2023
    SW Frederick County MD
    I got the dreaded "on hold" email yesterday from MSP for the 77R. Will call them tomorrow but fear my 2A right will be challenged. Already thinking about how I can fight this if in fact they decline me. All the check boxes were answered with no red flags I can think of, unless a certain event 10 years ago from out of state is coming back to get me (not convicted, was going to be misdemeanor, almost certain it was expunged). Hoping it is a simple clerical thing like a missed initial.

So, where you "not disapproved"? Get the e-mail on day 8 (no holidays or Sundays) at 6:30am?
    I have a similar situation. I received my HQL and CCW paper and card. Paid for a G43X MOS. Applied for my 77R and have been waiting for more than 5 weeks. I was told by MSP that something was found for back in the 70s but no details can be found in court records or archives. Is there anything I can do to get this expedited? There must be a limit on how long they can let this set on a desk collecting dust.

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    I have a similar situation. I received my HQL and CCW paper and card. Paid for a G43X MOS. Applied for my 77R and have been waiting for more than 5 weeks. I was told by MSP that something was found for back in the 70s but no details can be found in court records or archives. Is there anything I can do to get this expedited? There must be a limit on how long they can let this set on a desk collecting dust.
    what's bizarre is how they can complete the supposedly more thorough HQL/CCW investigation and miss something that's then picked up in the 77R process. Which highlights how meaningless those checks really are.

Last edited:
    I got the dreaded "on hold" email yesterday from MSP for the 77R. Will call them tomorrow but fear my 2A right will be challenged. Already thinking about how I can fight this if in fact they decline me. All the check boxes were answered with no red flags I can think of, unless a certain event 10 years ago from out of state is coming back to get me (not convicted, was going to be misdemeanor, almost certain it was expunged). Hoping it is a simple clerical thing like a missed initial.
    I understand your concern. It is going on 50+ days for me. I am waiting on court archives to atleast say say they can find nothing. Good luck.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    what's bizarre is how they can go the supposidly more thorough HQL/CCW investigation and miss something that's then picked up in the 77R process. Which highlights how meaningless those checks really are.
    It really does nothing but stall the good guys on getting something they want

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ah shit, well me memorizing my DLN was pointless thanks MD.
    I used to memorize my 12 digit hunting license number every year. That was back when you got a different number every season. I killed so many deer each season back then.

Now, I can't seem to commit my stupid five digit DNRid to memory, and that stays the same every year. :rolleye12

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I used to memorize my 12 digit hunting license number every year. That was back when you got a different number every season. I killed so many deer each season back then.

Now, I can't seem to commit my stupid five digit DNRid to memory, and that stays the same every year. :rolleye12
    yep I can't remember my DNR/FNW #'s I will say the MD paper fishing license having a QR code is nice though just pull up the paper regs for the year instead of carrying around that paper magazine in my tackle box, maybe they will do the same for deer tags soon.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Friend running into this issue. Happened on a NICS too I think. Thinks there may be some issue with identity theft or a person with same name. He's talking to the MSP tomorrow, but anyone have any idea who would be able to help him look into this and get it fixed?

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I have not but I have been told by others sometimes it is system error and it is sort of a catch all status. Also have been told it can be related to similar names and the further "investigation" by a person there is needed.

With all the clearances I have have for various govt agencies I have never had that problem. In most cases on non-regulated I am in and out in minutes.
    Yeah there is another guy with the same name in Carroll Co with the same name so i have gotten a MSP delay a couple times, the FFL I use most knows me and has no real issue releasing on 7th day knowing all my previous dealings have eventually come back good

Even with Clearances...I still get a NICS delay to this day for some reason

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    Do you have a clearance? Mine gets put "on hold" every time I buy one. Because my clearance shows a flag in the initial automated screen. Once they actually review the screen and see what the flag is from, it proceeds.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Friend running into this issue. Happened on a NICS too I think. Thinks there may be some issue with identity theft or a person with same name. He's talking to the MSP tomorrow, but anyone have any idea who would be able to help him look into this and get it fixed?
    Get a UPIN. It will clear up the NICS check side.

Yeah there is another guy with the same name in Carroll Co with the same name so i have gotten a MSP delay a couple times, the FFL I use most knows me and has no real issue releasing on 7th day knowing all my previous dealings have eventually come back good

Even with Clearances...I still get a NICS delay to this day for some reason

Do you have a clearance? Mine gets put "on hold" every time I buy one. Because my clearance shows a flag in the initial automated screen. Once they actually review the screen and see what the flag is from, it proceeds.
    When I worked at Masada we had quite a few "3 letter agency" employees shop there. It was well known amongst them that the NICS background checker needed a clearance equal to or greater than the person they were checking. Someone from deep inside Ft Meade had a very small pool of people who could run their check, thus the common delays.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    When I worked at Masada we had quite a few "3 letter agency" employees shop there. It was well known amongst them that the NICS background checker needed a clearance equal to or greater than the person they were checking. Someone from deep inside Ft Meade had a very small pool of people who could run their check, thus the common delays.
    Interesting....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom