• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newshot

Mar 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    What do you do to show accuracy? I see you have to be 70% accurate, but what exactly does that mean? Under what kind of conditions? I need to start practicing before I can take the class. Thanks!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Typically, 70% means you score 70 points out of a possible 100. You'll be using a B-27 target. You will have 25 shots, and if every one lands in the X and/or 10-ring, you would score 250 points, so you'll need to score 175 points out of a possible of 250 for 70%.

There is a official course of fire somewhere posted around here, but IIRC it's all shots started from low ready out to 15 yards.

Last edited:

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Typically, 70% means you score 70 points out of a possible 100. You'll be using a B-27 target. You will have 25 shots, and if every one lands in the X and/or 10-ring, you would score 250 points, so you'll need to score 175 points out of a possible of 250 for 70%.

There is a official course of fire somewhere posted around here, but IIRC it's all shots started from low ready out to 15 yards.
    What! The only scoring is the requirement that 70% of the 25 shots need to land within the black of the target.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks for the correction guys, I struck out the incorrect info in my post above. I guess I should have figured it wouldn't be normal scoring somehow.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    See attached. Uncle Duke is correct

Attachments

• Live Fire Courses (2).doc.pdf
      88.6 KB · Views: 356

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I wouldn't be sad if it was 24 of 25 shots in the black. I care more that people are accurate than "good moral character ".

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Under what kind of conditions?
    Normal daytime lighting, any indoor or outdoor range.

Depending on the instructor, you may qualify with a .22 lr handgun, or any other pistol of your choosing. Many instructors loan you the handgun and provide the ammo, included in the overall price.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Says the guy who isn’t right-handed and left-eye dominant…
    There's a cure for that..

Shift hg couple inches to he left.. or turn your head to the right ...or.. learn to shoot with both eyes open.

It's not an issue...seen/helped many cross dominated shooters..

ETA
    Rifles in other hand.. that's a challenge to few/most cross dominant.

Last edited:

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Okay this will be a lead balloon. If someone cant keep 70% of their shots on a standard silhouette target they need practice/lessons before they should carry. Its not about infringing its about being responsible.

I occasionally teach people to shoot and have never had anyone after less than an hour not be able to keep all shots on target.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    This is my 73 yo mother at 7 yards with her ez9 with a red dot. Her group size before the red dot was about 3 inches.
    SilSw3u.jpg

This is my W&C class target, 50 rounds total, gun is a 1911 cco 9mm with open sights, and I was shooting quickly not really worried about it too much.

xuQ2vCM.jpg

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    PSA

Bring a gun that you are comfortable shooting with..

Seen many bring "pocket" guns and barely pass the test and come dangerously close to unsafe handling.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    PSA

Bring a gun that you are comfortable shooting with..

Seen many bring "pocket" guns and barely pass the test and come dangerously close to unsafe handling.
    My initial training was ~5 hours of lecture/discussion/videos, ~3 hours of dry fire, and ~8 hours of live fire (students told to bring 350 rounds). I'm not sure a pocket pistol would last until lunch.
    It was a punishing experience vs what my friends reported for their classes, but I thought myself a better shooter for it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Okay this will be a lead balloon. If someone cant keep 70% of their shots on a standard silhouette target they need practice/lessons before they should carry. Its not about infringing its about being responsible.

I occasionally teach people to shoot and have never had anyone after less than an hour not be able to keep all shots on target.
    25+ states disagree your your antigun opinion and require nothing to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom