• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A friend has asked me to inquire about the legality of buying and owning a 50BMG in Maryland. He's not interested in the odd bolt action that attaches to an AR lower. He looked in the banned by statute list and can find 2 Barrett products. Are there any shoulderable 50BMG semi auto rifles currently legal to sell in the state?

Choko

May 14, 2022
    Frederick
    It's Maryland. Even Maryland doesn't know what's legal and not legal in Maryland.

To answer your question, I think Maryland thinks 50 cals are banned. I may be wrong tho.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The only one banned at all is the Barrett 82A1. Other companies make semi auto ones. Accuracy International comes to mind. Maybe Serbu. Tons of legal stand one bolt actions available Barrett being chief among them.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Yep, just the M82/M107 is banned by name in SB281. Everything else is fine so long as it doesn't meet copycat and is over 29in OAL.
    GM6 Lynx? G2G
    Barrett M95? G2G
    Zastava M93 Black Arrow? G2G
    DSR-50? G2G
    Steyr HS.50? G2G

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I bet you do...lol..my friend just got his 32 year old possession charges expunged and he's going a bit overboard on the gun purchases.
    Good for him! :party29:

32 years is a lot of catching up to do...

Why not get him to join the forum himself? Then we could help spend his money without the middle man (no offense intended ;) )

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good luck to your friend. Hopefully he lives in a part of the state where he has access to long range. But, IMHO, unless its just play money, between the cost of a .50BMG rifle and the high cost of ammunition AND few places to shoot it here, not something I'd ever consider IMHO. That is just me, but I wouldn't want to drop $4-8k on a rifle and $5-6 a round on something I might get out to the range once or twice a year, to burn $200 of ammo (and probably leave my shoulder sore for a week). Yeah, I know it can be real fun, but most .50BMG rifles are just not something you really want to shoot much of. Its a LOT of energy.

Now if you can unleash that on a 600-1200yd range, or are fortunate enough to have silly fun shooting up engine blocks, brake rotors, cinderblocks, etc. with it, okay I can see it maybe being worth it.

Otherwise, I'd invest half the money on a 338LM and still have lots and lots of fun. Supposing I needed something BIG.

As big as I am likely to ever go is a 300WM or 300WSM. Maybe if money is no object I might go with a 338LM, or some oddball like a 338-06 or 338WSM. Kind of depends on if/when I am willing to invest in a 338/35 caliber suppressor that can handle those kinds of pressures.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Good luck to your friend. Hopefully he lives in a part of the state where he has access to long range. But, IMHO, unless its just play money, between the cost of a .50BMG rifle and the high cost of ammunition AND few places to shoot it here, not something I'd ever consider IMHO. That is just me, but I wouldn't want to drop $4-8k on a rifle and $5-6 a round on something I might get out to the range once or twice a year, to burn $200 of ammo (and probably leave my shoulder sore for a week). Yeah, I know it can be real fun, but most .50BMG rifles are just not something you really want to shoot much of. Its a LOT of energy.

Now if you can unleash that on a 600-1200yd range, or are fortunate enough to have silly fun shooting up engine blocks, brake rotors, cinderblocks, etc. with it, okay I can see it maybe being worth it.

Otherwise, I'd invest half the money on a 338LM and still have lots and lots of fun. Supposing I needed something BIG.

As big as I am likely to ever go is a 300WM or 300WSM. Maybe if money is no object I might go with a 338LM, or some oddball like a 338-06 or 338WSM. Kind of depends on if/when I am willing to invest in a 338/35 caliber suppressor that can handle those kinds of pressures.
    Yes sir good luck finding a place to shoot it even the 338LM is iffy. finding someone who has a big place spreading out
    just to shoot it..., practical..no not really, economical nope.. engine block, Cars, concrete blocks, frigs, old safes, varmints...
    tress...etc.. Mk211 rounds can be had were $75 each, think they are over $100+ line. don't want to waste them on just anything..reloading is pretty straight forward, just think of "super-size me" out of all of them the 300WM / 308 are the
    other "fun ones" The 50BMG doesn't really kick that much the old 1903 kicks more..just a nasty muzzle blast..The AI's,
    McMillan don't kick as one would expect, just an opinion. sorry like the big boys, even "hand cannons" Why? a 50BMG
    338LM "I don't know".. .. something different ...

-Rock

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom