5 things every NRA firearm instructor should consider.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    5 things every NRA firearm instructor should consider.

While it seems to me at least everyday there is someone else who is offering Firearms Training either for Free? Or they do it for profit. However I truly believe in my hart, most have no idea what type of liability they have when doing so.

I personally carry a $3 Million Dollar General Liability Policy with errors and omissions insurance. Not to mention range insurance and business insurance.
    I hate to say this but most will not find out until it is too late.

I will not purport to give any legal advice. However I found a good article some time ago and wanted to pass it along. Here it is below:

http://www.stecklaw.com/2012/07/06/5-things-every-nra-firearm-instructor-should-consider/

This is a start and something to get you thinking, do I want to teach someone to shoot or sell medical supplies?

Best advice is to talk to a lawyer and we have plenty of good ones on this board.

Caveat emptor!

Tom

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I carry 2 million myself Tom and you might expand your statement to include those that are not NRA instructors as well as those that are.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    When I instruct (Skeet and Trap) classes for my Club I am covered by my Club's Insurance.

Yes, 2mil policy through our club, A letter from the club and some other paperwork affirming you are an instructor/RO is needed for coverage if you are named in addition to or instead of the club in a lawsuit. It is too easy for the club's insurance to just state you were not representing the club when instructing, and are not covered, read the fine print very carefully, still probably better off with your own policy if you instruct.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    $3,000,000.00 and a certificate naming the facility for each venue I teach. Plus all the other insurances required for being self employed and instructing in a "dangerous" business.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yes, 2mil policy through our club, A letter from the club and some other paperwork affirming you are an instructor/RO is needed for coverage if you are named in addition to or instead of the club in a lawsuit. It is too easy for the club's insurance to just state you were not representing the club when instructing, and are not covered, read the fine print very carefully, still probably better off with your own policy if you instruct.

This is what I was asking about in the other thread. Damn good advice.
    Any ideas about the Boy Scouts? Would a separate policy be a good idea if you are just volunteering?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    This is what I was asking about in the other thread. Damn good advice.
    Any ideas about the Boy Scouts? Would a separate policy be a good idea if you are just volunteering?

volunteers are sued all the time. they don't have the protections built in prohibiting someone from taking everything you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom