• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    True , it's your list , and you are totally free to fulfill it in anonymity .

But once you post it in an MDS discussion thread , we're going to comment on it . just like everybody else's lists .

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    To play along with the spirit of this eternal amusing debate ; I would hold that there would be 7 or 8 identifiable Roles . Then would would decide which roles you would skip , and where you would choose compromise guns that could check off multiple boxes .

Once upon a time . a good friend who looked to me for guidance in things gun , asked me " Hey Biggfoot , which gun should I get next ? , and my answer was none , you're set . With 3 .

A J frame , a 4in .357 , and a double stack DA/SA .45acp .

7 or 8 roles? Maybe, lets think this through (this may be more interesting than specific guns since that just gets into people's favorites)...

If not a hunter:
    1. Home defense pistol
    2. Main CCW pistol (if a compact service pistol it can replace #1)
    3. Smaller backup or more extreme concealment CCW pistol
    4. Home defense long gun (shotgun, .223/5.56 carbine, or even a revolver caliber lever rifle)
    5. .22lr Pistol
    6. .22lr Rifle/carbine
    7. If not covered above, a revolver (every serious gun collector/owner should have one IMO)

If a hunter:
    Get rid of one category. To stay rounded maybe combine the main CCW pistol and home defense pistol and use a compact service pistol. Or combine the main and smaller CCW pistol and go with something like a micro-9 or J-frame as the only compact CCW pistol, or if you rarely need to go too small but need smaller than a compact, get a subcompact like a Glock 26 or S&W M&P M2.0 subcompact. Or, do a .22lr pistol or long gun. Then replace it with a gun you can use for large game (most would pick a bolt rifle here I think, if I was a hunter, I'd go with a lever rifle because that's what I like best).

What are the roles you had in mind?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don’t understand why anyone would use a pistol for home defense, unless money were an issue. I use a suppressed SBR in 5.56. There are scientific reasons behind this. 5.56 over-penetrates less than 9mm and buckshot. The suppressor keeps noise down, and the round itself is much more effective. I can also use reliable 40 round mags. Lights can be mounted, and a rifle is much easier to handle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Small pistol
    2. Belt size pistol
    3. Shotgun
    4. Rifle suitable small game
    5. Rifle suitable for large- ish game
    6. Rifle with accuracy and a degree of distance
    7. .22 Rimfire(s)
    8 . Pistol with significant power .

Maybe could equally have been catagory of firearm as role .

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    1) Glock 19
    2) .22 rifle
    3) 12ga pump
    4) .223 AR
    5) I guess a larger caliber rifle

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Guess I'll play.

1. 1911 in 45acp
    2. AR15 in 300 BO
    3. AR10 in 308
    4. 22 LR in semi
    5. Mp5 with giggle switch.

1. Glock 19
    2. AR-15 (As much as I love my KAC SR15 I would keep it to something like a Colt so I don't need proprietary parts or tools)
    3. Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870
    4. Bolt Action 308
    5. Ruger 10/22

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I don’t understand why anyone would use a pistol for home defense, unless money were an issue. I use a suppressed SBR in 5.56. There are scientific reasons behind this. 5.56 over-penetrates less than 9mm and buckshot. The suppressor keeps noise down, and the round itself is much more effective. I can also use reliable 40 round mags. Lights can be mounted, and a rifle is much easier to handle.
    I share this philosophy as well.

Here’s my list

1) Suppressed SBR in 5.56 (10.3 or 11.5 barrel)
    2) 16 inch AR15 in 5.56
    3) Glock 19
    4) Mossberg 500 with interchangeable 18.5 and 28 inch barrels.
    6)Browning X bolt in 308

This list is based on where I live and my most likely use-cases. My list would be different if I lived out west.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    1) Suppressed 10/22
    2) S&W M&P 9mm
    3) suppressed AR15
    4) .308 bolt action rifle
    5) Remington 870 pump 12 ga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    1. AR-15 in 5.56 preferably SBR
    1.5 AR15 22 LR upper
    2. Long Range 308 or bigger bolt Gun
    3. P320 m17/m18
    4. Mossberg 590
    5. Another Semi Auto in larger Caliber that the bolt gun is using.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don’t understand why anyone would use a pistol for home defense,
    Swinging the the barrel of your long gun into a door jam in the middle of the night while you try to stealthily see what made that noise.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    1. .45 long slide mit lahza sighting
    2. Uzi 9mm
    3. Phased plasma rifle
    4. 12 gauge auto lodah

Last edited:

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia

As they say, the handgun is to fight your way to the long gun. I don't carry a long gun around the house on a sling. I keep mine locked in a safe, so I need to buy time. Even if you don't keep it in a safe, where is it (corner of a bedroom, corner of the living room, corner of whatever room you are in)? I can easily keep a handgun in a holster on my person so whenever a person makes a forced entry into my house, I'm ready and don't need to hope I can get to my gun. I don't need to think to grab the gun and move it to wherever I'm going, and my hands are always free (and I can be armed when I do need my hands to be free). If I didn't keep my gun holstered on me (sometimes I don't carry at home, maybe I just woke up, or maybe I just got in... still waiting on the MD W&C approval), I can slip a snub or pocket gun into my front pocket if someone is knocking on my door and not cause any concern for whomever it is, yet I'm ready if they are up to no good.

I like a .223/5.56 carbine for the same reasons you do (though mine doesn't have a suppressor, I've never gone through the trouble of the application), but mine is there for if I have time to get to it. So, in many ways, my handgun is actually my primary home defense gun since it will be the first in action if I ever need it.

Sirex