Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Chris always has GREAT videos. This is excellent:

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Not a bad video. I would say he missed a hunting rifle for deer or bigger. I think it would be a must over 2 pistols. He already said you can carry the full sized. Plus a Glock 19 size fills both roles if you’re limited to 5 guns.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Not a bad video. I would say he missed a hunting rifle for deer or bigger. I think it would be a must over 2 pistols. He already said you can carry the full sized. Plus a Glock 19 size fills both roles if you’re limited to 5 guns.
    Had the same thought... I would much rather have a bigger bore scoped rifle with some reach. Plays a role in hunting, but also longer range engagement of an enemy.

Of course, I would never have just 5 guns (unless my family is bugging out on foot)... and even then, we'd probably each carry two, so no fewer than 8... plus one I'd tape to the dog.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Kind of funny that he said that they were going to "judge them on their overall usage plus their track record, reliability, accuracy, and how they did in our reviews." Then, the first reason he give for his first choice, the Henry .22, he says, "it looks very very cool." While I won't deny that, and would love to own a Henry lever action, it doesn't fit with he previous claim of how they were judging them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Meh, the reality is that I could get by on a P320 with some accessories and a decent AR-15 with an LPVO and a can.

That said, I can see the utility of adding a 10/22, a P365, and a 308 gas gun to the mix. But strictly speaking, I could live without them.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Exactly. Add a bolt action 308 or something

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Rem700 30-06
    Glock 19 9mm
    Rem 870 12 gauge
    22 bolt
    Ar or Ak still up in the air on this last one
    I don't hunt, but would an M1 in 30-06 suffice instead of the Rem700?

Also, I'm not a shotgun fan. I had one, never used it, didn't like carrying a shotgun at work.

I've got a personal G19, but prefer my 43x.

I've got a couple ARs in different caliber and barrel lengths.

My 5 would be:
    M1
    G43x
    AR rifle in 5.56
    AR pistol in .300aac
    Suppressed AR pistol in .22

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    I don't hunt, but would an M1 in 30-06 suffice instead of the Rem700?

Also, I'm not a shotgun fan. I had one, never used it, didn't like carrying a shotgun at work.

I've got a personal G19, but prefer my 43x.

I've got a couple ARs in different caliber and barrel lengths.

My 5 would be:
    M1
    G43x
    AR rifle in 5.56
    AR pistol in .300aac
    Suppressed AR pistol in .22

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

To each his own. I’m not mad at your picks lol.

I just think if I could only have 5 it would be the 5 that I use frequently. All mine listed above are thoroughly used and frequently in service.

Now I got this g43 riding up in my waist… if I had to pick it would be the G19 but I’m really starting to like the 43 for EDC

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I've thought about this in the past and my 5 would be:

Benelli M2 with 21" and 28" barrels
    Ruger 10/22 with threaded KIDD barrel and suppressor
    Sig P365 with additional XL grip module
    AR-15 with LPVO
    308 AR or bolt action with 3-9x optic

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    If I could only ever have five guns I would want as much commonality and availability of ammo, accessories and parts as possible, and I'd like them to cover as many missions as possible, even missions I don't necessarily expect to need them for. I don't want any of them to turn into a paperweight when the manufacturer decides they aren't good sellers two years down the road, or the ammo falls out of favor, or whatever.

It does tend to matter what kind of environment we are talking about. Urban? Suburban? Rural? Wilderness? War zone?

A good mix that would cover a peaceful suburban life to a zombie apocalypse might be something like this...

1. AR for sure in 5.56. Good for midsize game/varmint control as well as two legged ******* control. Very common, lots of parts and ammo, easy to shoot, accurate, reliable. And did I mention common?
    2. Pistol of some type in 9mm. I don't love it, but a Glock 19 is common, reliable, accurate, lots of parts, easy to use, reasonably concealable.
    3. Shotgun in 12 gauge for the shear versatility of it. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are super common and reliable. Even a double barrel would probably be fine. I'm sure there are others. I don't love shotguns; but they are so versatile it's hard to skip. I think talking about keeping different barrels is cheating, though.
    4. .22 rifle for small game, ammo affordability and the ability to stockpile a lot of it in a small space. Even in times of tight ammo it should be possible to have enough stored to get plenty of plinking in. I have a 10/22, so that is probably what I'd choose. Plus, it wins again on commonality.
    5. Something in the deer hunting size range, which covers most or all bigger game in this geography. .308? 30-06? .270? I don't know what ammo is most available, but something common. I don't think it is legal to hunt deer with these in Maryland though, so perhaps something in a straight wall cartridge would be better. Or just use the shotty unless the world goes to shit and the rules go out the window. If the boogaloo happens (does anyone use that term anymore) having something to reach out and touch someone at extended ranges might be useful. I'm not a hunter; but given the amount of deer on my land and the increasing cost of meat (and everything else) I might just pick it up. I have no idea what rifle I'd choose, though, as my experience is way too limited in this category.

Variants:
    A sub-compact pistol might replace the G19 if more time is spent in urban or office environments where deep concealment is more important. I like the P365, but I wonder if it will still be the king of the subcompact hill in five years. As much as Glocks bore me, perhaps a Glock 43 makes more sense. I don't think they are ever going away.

I'm thinking of this locale, mostly, but perhaps that is short sighted. A bigger handgun cartridge might make sense if spending more time in bear (or large game) territory, 10mm I guess for a semi and 44 mag in a revolver would make sense. If living in the land of moose and grizzly, I'd want as much oomph as I could get from all weapons.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If I could only ever have five guns I would want as much commonality and availability of ammo, accessories and parts as possible, and I'd like them to cover as many missions as possible, even missions I don't necessarily expect to need them for. I don't want any of them to turn into a paperweight when the manufacturer decides they aren't good sellers two years down the road, or the ammo falls out of favor, or whatever.

It does tend to matter what kind of environment we are talking about. Urban? Suburban? Rural? Wilderness? War zone?

A good mix that would cover a peaceful suburban life to a zombie apocalypse might be something like this...

1. AR for sure in 5.56. Good for midsize game/varmint control as well as two legged ******* control. Very common, lots of parts and ammo, easy to shoot, accurate, reliable. And did I mention common?
    2. Pistol of some type in 9mm. I don't love it, but a Glock 19 is common, reliable, accurate, lots of parts, easy to use, reasonably concealable.
    3. Shotgun in 12 gauge for the shear versatility of it. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are super common and reliable. Even a double barrel would probably be fine. I'm sure there are others. I don't love shotguns; but they are so versatile it's hard to skip. I think talking about keeping different barrels is cheating, though.
    4. .22 rifle for small game, ammo affordability and the ability to stockpile a lot of it in a small space. Even in times of tight ammo it should be possible to have enough stored to get plenty of plinking in. I have a 10/22, so that is probably what I'd choose. Plus, it wins again on commonality.
    5. Something in the deer hunting size range, which covers most or all bigger game in this geography. .308? 30-06? .270? I don't know what ammo is most available, but something common. I don't think it is legal to hunt deer with these in Maryland though, so perhaps something in a straight wall cartridge would be better. Or just use the shotty unless the world goes to shit and the rules go out the window. If the boogaloo happens (does anyone use that term anymore) having something to reach out and touch someone at extended ranges might be useful. I'm not a hunter; but given the amount of deer on my land and the increasing cost of meat (and everything else) I might just pick it up. I have no idea what rifle I'd choose, though, as my experience is way too limited in this category.

Variants:
    A sub-compact pistol might replace the G19 if more time is spent in urban or office environments where deep concealment is more important. I like the P365, but I wonder if it will still be the king of the subcompact hill in five years. As much as Glocks bore me, perhaps a Glock 43 makes more sense. I don't think they are ever going away.

I'm thinking of this locale, mostly, but perhaps that is short sighted. A bigger handgun cartridge might make sense if spending more time in bear (or large game) territory, 10mm I guess for a semi and 44 mag in a revolver would make sense. If living in the land of moose and grizzly, I'd want as much oomph as I could get from all weapons.
    For the varmint category as well as the deer category, I say 243 Win, which is dual purpose varmint and deer cartridge. The shotgun with a slug or buckshot can also be used in a lot places for deer hunting. Could even use a rilfed barrel shotgun with sabot rounds.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok - here's a more serious response:

1. 22 LR rifle, like a Ruger 10/22, with your favorite plinking optic.
    2. 9mm handgun of your choice.
    3. 16" or 18" barrel 5.56 HBAR AR with LPVO or medium power scope. Can also have additional uppers for 6.5 Grendel and/or 300 Black. May even SBR this one so it can be used with any size barrel with OAL of 29".
    4. 243 Win bolt action rifle; can be used for deer or varmint.
    5. Remmy 870 shotgun with different barrels; can be used for hunting fowl, upland hunting, deer hunting in rifle restricted areas, and even clays.

That covers all your bases.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Benelli M4 - everything from slugs to buckshot to #9 birdshot for smaller meals.

AR with LPVO

Mid-sized super reliable 9mm pistol with some capacity. CZ75 compact? G19?

Quality 22 bolt rifle with a can. Cheap, sneaky if needed.

45-70 lever gun - can knock down man or moose

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Semiauto handgun 9mm or 45 ACP
    Pump/Bolt shotgun 12g or 20g
    Bolt/Lever rifle 22LR
    Semi auto AR pattern rifle: .270Win, .308, .338 lapua, .300 Win mag, .30-06, or some other big game caliber
    Bolt/pump/Lever Rifle in same caliber as Semi Auto AR pattern rifle

Sirex