• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    What do you do for small vs large primers in 45ACP? Do you make 2 different loads or only load one style or load the same? Just need some advice please:D

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I segregate the small primer brass...when I make the cartridges, I keep the small primer stuff in its own box so I can recover it easier. Powder and bullet are the same regardless.

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    I segregate the small primer brass...when I make the cartridges, I keep the small primer stuff in its own box so I can recover it easier. Powder and bullet are the same regardless.

+1 same here. I set the small primer aside until I get enough to run a batch and/or already have the press setup for small primer.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You can use the exact same load data with the smaller primered 45 ACP rounds, as you use with the large primer. You do not need to adjust the powder charge for the different size primer. That is if you are using a standard (non magnum) primer for both.

I have so many large primered 45 brass, that I load very little of the small primered ones.

You can save the smaller for cases where you may lose your brass.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I started segregating my small primer .45 brass off to the side, but I have so much more large primer .45 brass that I am essentially never getting around to reloading the small primer brass.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I'm almost 50/50 on the brass...I have about 300 pieces. For those that use the same load regardless of primer, does it shoot the same?

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Cool! Thanks for the info. Most guys at my club save brass...especially 45......so pickins is mighty slim!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Cool! Thanks for the info. Most guys at my club save brass...especially 45......so pickins is mighty slim!

If your in a bind to get a lot of 45 ACP brass.. look on Gunbroker.com. There are lots of listings for 45ACP brass.

I bought a big lot of them for a pretty good price, with all alike headstamps. You can find sellers that are selling mixed headstamps & different primer pocket size as well. Thats a matter of personal preference.

The biggest issue on loading different primer pocket sizes, is that you have to change the priming head on your press, depending on how you prime cases.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I have so much large pistol 45 brass that I intentionally do not collect or load small pistol primer 45 brass. With that said, I would only load small pistol primer 45 brass if I were just starting out and try to find the perfect load because it is the only caliber I load large pistol primers. I would actually try to find the perfect load for 45 ACP using small rifle primers.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Not to derail the discussion. L&S primer pockets on 45acp cases is the same as dialog on L&S primers on 7.62X39. They are loaded the same. Keep the cases separated when they're primed and load them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom