• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Last Christmas, my wife got me a beautiful Marlin 1895. Only catch was its chambered in .450 Marlin and I've had a helluva time finding ammo for it. I managed to get 2 boxes a local guy and 2 more from a shop that had posted here in an old misc ammo thread. Has anyone seen this stuff recently? Or know of a shop that gets it from time to time?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    These guys claim to have some:

Buffalo Bore too:

Some of the less popular calibers are better suited to reloading.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've seen it at Buffalo bore, but they are really heavy loads. Some day I will get my reloading stuff set up, kids just don't allow for the time

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Do you have any interest in reloading? Odd calibers are fun (38 S&W, 7.62x38R, 9mm Largo, etc…) but reloading is almost required for regular shooting.

For my 38 S&W I have to cast my own bullets because I can’t find any pre-made ones.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Some of the less popular calibers are better suited to reloading.
    [/QUOTE]

That’s what I was thinking. Seems like a great option for slinging big chunks of cast lead rolled up the way you like em.

I know it’s probably not the ideal time to get into hand loading, but it would open up all kinds of possibilities with that cartridge.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    If I were OP, I'd be considering likely usage, and laying in as much .450 Marlin ammo as possible for the long haul. Or much better yet, consider loading for it, and lay in a heavy supply of brass while it's still available. I could be wrong, but I can't see either ammo or brass for this chambering getting easier to find in future years.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    As an add, curiosity from this thread got me to looking a bit more into this cartridge. Seems the .450 Marlin was designed with a proprietary wide belted case, which means that case forming from other perhaps somewhat similar cartridge cases, doesn't seem to be in the cards.

I've always liked some of less than mainstream cartridges, and this one looks like a good one as well. But it appears in looking closer that there's that much more reason to really consider stocking up on ammo or brass or both.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom