• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Depends on what you plan to use it for. Just range use sky's the limit, and lots of good choices up thread. For carry use, I want something that I know will go bang, I that will put the bullet reliably where I want it to go. For that I have 2 Rock Island Armory 1911s basic models with Crimson trace lasers. One commander size and one full size. I've put enough rounds down range for them to show me they are reliable. I plan on carrying the commander size once I get my permit.

So why do I say there is a difference between a carry and range gun? Because if I ever have to use it for self defense, I will cry less when the cops carry my sidearm away for who knows how long and how it's treated in their loving care, if it is a utility weapon and not a high end expensive piece. I really like shooting a 1911, so that's my choice. For you maybe a Glock or M&P maybe your cup of tea. Go to a range that rents pistols and try as many as possible, you should be able to find what fits you. Its a very personal choice, you know like picking a wife, and as some here can attest, it doesn't have to be a life time commitment.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Am I the only guy with an HK P9s in .45? Roller-delayed blowback!

hk P9s.jpg
    https://www.forgottenweapons.com/other-handguns/hk-p9s/

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    God, I love H&Ks. I need that.
    The HK fanbois say that it's a better platform for suppressors than the P7. Surprised me. I've seen a couple extended barrels for the P9s. Pricey, as you'd expect.

Polygonal rifling too.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The HK fanbois say that it's a better platform for suppressors than the P7. Surprised me. I've seen a couple extended barrels for the P9s. Pricey, as you'd expect.

Polygonal rifling too.
    I have some H&K sporting rifles. (270, 300, 630). They are gorgeous guns, tons of fun to shoot. Ain’t nothing cheap. Mags can be hundreds.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have some H&K sporting rifles. (270, 300, 630). They are gorgeous guns, tons of fun to shoot. Ain’t nothing cheap. Mags can be hundreds.
    Got all my HKs before prices got ridiculous. I could never afford them now.

The thing is, they're fascinating examples of design, both P7 and P9s. That's what attracted me to them. And they'll never ever be made again.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Got all my HKs before prices got ridiculous. I could never afford them now.

The thing is, they're fascinating examples of design, both P7 and P9s. That's what attracted me to them. And they'll never ever be made again.
    I’ll get some eventually and pay the silly prices. I really like engineering/science, and H&K over-engineers everything. They have been a very innovative manufacturer. They don’t put out crap. Ever.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Best 45 ACP, money no object. 1911 or other full size……go
    Nighthawk Warhawk. If money is no object. Slightly cheaper, look at the Ruger SR1911 Custom Shop Doug Koenig competition edition, which you can get in either 9mm or 45acp. Both are fantastic, IMHO.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I’m this instance. It’s the best data.

In this instance ,it's the data best presented to burnish the image of the FBI as the leading authority on LE technology . Just like their endorsement of .40 (10mm Lite) .

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    In this instance ,it's the data best presented to burnish the image of the FBI as the leading authority on LE technology . Just like their endorsement of .40 (10mm Lite) .
    Indeed.

However, I have to infer that the FBI has it’s agents’ best interests at heart. Not that they need my endorsement, but based on available data, I agree with them

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not exactly sure, little bit of everything.
    For $3K plus you need to pick one thing you want to do really , really well . For an " All Around , do most everything pretty good 1911 " that's certainly a thing , but at half that price range & down .

And you need to be experienced enough with 1911s to know how you like them set up .

My first 1911 was Arched / short/ GI grip safety . And I was : Eh , it's ok , not bad , but what's everybody raving about ?

Then I tried the FIL's 1911 - flat , long , mild beavertail , GC slide on Essex frame , built by Roland Jorgensen .

OMG ! This was great! , THIS is what it was all about .

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I’ll get some eventually and pay the silly prices. I really like engineering/science, and H&K over-engineers everything. They have been a very innovative manufacturer. They don’t put out crap. Ever.
    Well... maybe their engineers don't. Their marketing department however...

HKbulletsBackwards.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom