• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LesBroadH2O

Aug 31, 2016
    I have recently purchased some 430 grain Rim Rock Bullets and some 460 grain Cast Performance bullets. It is difficult to find a lot of data on these heavier projectiles. Does anyone have any favorite load data they would like to share?

I have been reloading for a while now, so I understand the start low and work up to it principles. This is one of the few calibers / projectile combinations I have found that does not have too much data to get started.

Yes- I like shooting guns that kick a bit. I understand I may have some sort of problem; but I can't help it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    1000003993.jpg

I used 300gr bullet, for my lever action i want to say 60gr

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    When I go to the range with my 45-70, I always run into somebody with a deep love for how accurate their 45-70 is. They all have a pet load, they're all different. The Hornady 325 FTX both in factory loads and handloads works for me. Not a popular powder for 45-70 but it's what I had most of, 58.5gr. H335.
    Google around for an article how to accurize a Marlin lever action. The main thing I did was to refit the forearm to reduce the strain from the mag tube. I had two 1895 Marlins and an 1885 Browning that would shoot one hole @ 200 yards if I let the barrel cool between shots.

Attachments

• 45-70.jpg
      45-70.jpg
      132.4 KB · Views: 38
    • 45-70a.jpg
      45-70a.jpg
      98.5 KB · Views: 37
    • 100_5466.JPG
      100_5466.JPG
      308 KB · Views: 37
    Last edited:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Can’t help you out with those bullet weights, until I check my reloading manuals.
    Like pre64hunter mentioned, everyone has their 45-70 “pet load”.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I ran 55gr of h335 or 49gr of imr4198 under 500gr bullets but unless you have a ruger no 1, you probably shouldn't do that.

LesBroadH2O

Aug 31, 2016
    When I go to the range with my 45-70, I always run into somebody with a deep love for how accurate there 45-70 is. They all have a pet load, they're all different. The Hornady 325 FTX both in factory loads and handloads works for me. Not a popular powder for 45-70 but it's what I had most of, 58.5gr. H335.
    Google around for an article how to accurize a Marlin lever action. The main thing I did was to refit the forearm to reduce the strain from the mag tube. I had two 1895 Marlins and an 1885 Browning that would shoot one hole @ 200 yards if I let the barrel cool between shots.
    Those are some impressive groups.

LesBroadH2O

Aug 31, 2016
    Can’t help you out with those bullet weights, until I check my reloading manuals.
    Like pre64hunter mentioned, everyone has their 45-70 “pet load”.
    I am having some issues finding loads for the heavier bullet weights. I did find a few to mess with though.

LesBroadH2O

Aug 31, 2016
    I ran 55gr of h335 or 49gr of imr4198 under 500gr bullets but unless you have a ruger no 1, you probably shouldn't do that.
    I am messing with a H335 load now. The recipe I found was 55g H335 under a 430g RNFP that had about 36K pressure. I am going to give this one a go.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    If you study the 45-70 loading data, you'll find that a few grains increase or decrease in the powder charge only changes the velocity very slightly. In other words, if your powder charge is off by as much as a grain, it affects the velocity minimal.
    A note on the Hornady FTX 45-70. Factory brass length is extra short and the FTX bullet's cannelure sits back farther so the overall length will function in a lever action.
    If you use brass from the FTX factory load, it will be noticeably shorter.
    If you use the FTX bullet with standard length brass, it will have to be trimmed a bit shorter to allow the load to be crimped in the cannelure and function in a lever action.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have recently purchased some 430 grain Rim Rock Bullets and some 460 grain Cast Performance bullets. It is difficult to find a lot of data on these heavier projectiles. Does anyone have any favorite load data they would like to share?

I have been reloading for a while now, so I understand the start low and work up to it principles. This is one of the few calibers / projectile combinations I have found that does not have too much data to get started.

Yes- I like shooting guns that kick a bit. I understand I may have some sort of problem; but I can't help it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom