• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I have unique and was loading 240gr lead bullets commercially cast. I loaded 11.0gr of unique because my lee manual lists 10.7 as min and 11.8 as max. So I figured 11.0 was even and mid range which tends to work best in my gun.

Well anyway I was looking for more load info online and kept seeing lower loads listed. So I cross check a couple older manuals I have and they list lower maximums. If I lead the barrel that's ok but I don't want to blow the gun up. So has anyone run a load close to that? Are the older loads less due to softer lead than modern cast bullets?

The gun is a S&W 629 with 8 in barrel.

I don't want to pull the rounds, but I would rather do that than a kaboom. Should I just make some loads working up and watch for signs when I shoot (just thought of that while typing)? That sounds like a good idea. That way I can work up but may not have to pull them, but avoid bad things.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Not loaded for cast or leads, but your idea is right, work up a string and be sure. Load data will vary a lot from mfr to mfr, it is best to check several and kinda work up a starting string. Don't just pick a load and load em, do your homework first, load up some 3 shot strings to check for pressure and a glimpse at performance, then go back and load up some 10 or 15 shot strings based on actual experience with your loads and weapon.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    One of my favorite loads is 10.5 grains of Unique under a hard cast 240 grain SWC or RN bullet. It is subsonic, about 1050 fps (from 5.5" Redhawk), from the muzzle out and is very accurate beyond 100 meters. I've literally shot thousands of that load. At that velocity there is no danger of excess leading and subsequent gun damage or shooter injury.

Look in the load manuals under 44 Special you'll see lower charges. The Magnum case is only .120" greater so there is no danger of detonation. LoadMAP indicates starting loads at 6.5 grains...just a smidge above 44 Special loads.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The real question is what is your intended velocity goal ?

[ I am not going to touch the Detonation issue , but in any case , N/A to Unique in .44 ]

Unique in the 6gr range will give you vels on par with .44spl factory loads . +/- 9gr will similar to "warm" .44spl handloads , or the old "midrange" .44 Mags .

+/- 10gr ( where you are now ) is a very interesting and useful range. Enough to tell it's a Magnum , but still fairly mild and enjoyable.

Maximum loads will be pushing 12gr depending on exact bullet. But by that point you can get signifigently higher vels at lower pressure by switching to a slower powder.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The real question is what is your intended velocity goal ?

[ I am not going to touch the Detonation issue , but in any case , N/A to Unique in .44 ]

Unique in the 6gr range will give you vels on par with .44spl factory loads . +/- 9gr will similar to "warm" .44spl handloads , or the old "midrange" .44 Mags .

+/- 10gr ( where you are now ) is a very interesting and useful range. Enough to tell it's a Magnum , but still fairly mild and enjoyable.

Maximum loads will be pushing 12gr depending on exact bullet. But by that point you can get signifigently higher vels at lower pressure by switching to a slower powder.
    Velocity should almost never be your guide. Work up from the min until performance drops and then go back to your sweet spot. Unless you are trying to generate recoil then you need 320-330gr bullets.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    It has been a while since I reloaded, but i remember using some loads that Elmer Keith came up with that worked great for me. Google it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    FWIW, the only powder I used to get a hardcast bullet into magnum velocity without higher than normal leading was 2400.
    If I need true magnum velocity I use jacketed hullets.

^^This.

Using Unique (in my experience) to push a LSWC in the .44 magnum works well, but, I've had better success with Alliant (formerly Hercules) 2400.

Also, I use HARDCAST boolits, not swaged. I like gas-checked HARDCAST boolits even better. (Caps used for emphasis..... not yelling.):D

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Velocity should almost never be your guide."

Velocity may be a major consideration. Looking for a targeted momentum/recoil value. Or perhaps to get a hollowpoint in its expansion velociity. Then the work is finding the powder, charge, bullet combo with the necessary accuracy to deliver the required performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom