• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    All,

As much as I enjoy shooting the 40 Minor load from DC Ammo it seems I need to start rolling my own. What I am looking for is some recommendation and starting point from the collective on this forum.

Currently I have 180GR Montana Gold CMJ in stock and a handful of Bayou Bullets 180GR CMJ on the way as a test. I do realize the Bayou Bullets will need to be loaded differently. The gun seems to feed any length but I am looking at something around 1.180 OAL. It will feed 1.200 but that may be overkill. The gun in question is a 2011-type pistol.

It seems I have the bullets but now I need powder. The only wrinkle I have is that it needs to be from Hodgdon which includes Winchester or IMR.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which powder I should start with? If I had my way it would have as little smoke as possible if that is an option with that powder lineup. I will then work off published loads but need a place to start on my quest for a Long-Loaded 40 Minor.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

Last edited:

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    You only need to make it go 700fps.
    I would look at Titegroup as a good powder to try.
    It's not position sensitive and is pretty fast burning.
    It's a little sooty but not really dirty.
    A bunch of folks you shoot with use it in 9mm under a 147gr bullet or in .45 under a 230gr bullet with good results.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    You only need to make it go 700fps.
    I would look at Titegroup as a good powder to try.
    It's not position sensitive and is pretty fast burning.
    It's a little sooty but not really dirty.
    A bunch of folks you shoot with use it in 9mm under a 147gr bullet or in .45 under a 230gr bullet with good results.

I finally feel comfortable about loading 9mm. I've been hesitant, because it is a high pressure load and I wanted more experience with other loads. I will lean towards 147gr and Titegroup, thanks. So many irons in the fire...it will be a while yet.

I hope you get some replies to your question and this doesn't become my threat :)

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    Mike,

I use Precision Bullets 185gr .40 and TiteGroup powder for my STI.

For major I load 4.0gr at 1.195 OAL

For minor I load or 3.1gr at 1.195 OAL (safe 130pf)

So for the 180gr I’d look around 3.0gr of TiteGroup at 1.180 OAL

I gave up loading lighter for IDPA and shoot the same load for both USPSA (major) and IDPA ESP. The minor load feels so soft I end up going way to fast to hit anything.

I also have 2000 of the Bayou Bullets 180gr. I haven’t been able to get them to shoot out of my gun. If I can’t find the sweet spot for them I’ll let you know.

Walt

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Too bad you're stuck on Hodgdon. I loaded 165 plated flat points using Unique and the recoil is not very significant and it's pretty quiet, too, especially compared to Blue Dot.

Jim

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I shoot a 2011 pistol in .40S&W and use Hodgdon Clays with 180gr Montana Gold JHPs loaded to 1.210". 4.8gr for major and 4.4gr for minor (you could probably go a little lower, but I didn't like the trajectory); These loads were recommended to me by SV and work great.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    my minor/practice .40 S&W load for my junior shooter is:

180 gr MG JHP
    3.5 gr tite group
    1.135 OAL
    .422 crimp

run's in the glock(s) and my 2011

chrono's at about 800 FPS

very light recoil and smooth feeding.

need major ? bump the powder drop to 4.5 and they'll chrono about 930-950 fps.

i used to long load (to 1.19) but my STI does not care and 1.135 fits all my .40 blasters.

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    Thank you all for the replies. The hodgdon wrinkle is just due to a sponsorship so I at least need to give them a try. When I was shooting the Glock 35 I used the Atlanta Arms and Ammo 40 minor load in the blue box. Too bad they don't offer a 40 minor long load. The last time I checked Danny needed an order of 10,000 to make the changeover for me.

I am going to give the Bayou Bullets a shot and if that fails Ill fall back on the Montana Gold/TiteGroup recommendations. FWIW I have had pretty good luck with DCAMMO, Atlanta Arms and Ammo and even Everglades but want to try rolling my own for a little more control.

Thanks for the assistance.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    I shoot a 2011 pistol in .40S&W and use Hodgdon Clays with 180gr Montana Gold JHPs loaded to 1.210". 4.8gr for major and 4.4gr for minor (you could probably go a little lower, but I didn't like the trajectory); These loads were recommended to me by SV and work great.

Do you have a data source for these loads as I'm unsure who "SV" is? My Lyman manual has 4.0gr as the max load. My HK USP Compact will eat rounds loaded at 1.240, but I want to ensure about the pressures generated for the 4.8gr are within limits. I have only loaded to 4.0gr, but am sure they are very minor, so I was considering shifting to Titegroup. However, it is easier to stick to Clays for both my 45ACP and 40 if I can.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom