• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I recently acquired a Smith & Wesson Model 32-1 "Terrier" from my father, who just passed early this year. It is chambered in .38 S&W (Not to be confused with .38 Special). The .38 S&W cartridge is shorter, fatter, and anemic, launching (with factory loads) a 146-grain lead RN at a blistering 670 fps. The nominal bore diameter is .360" according to Speer #12.
    When my dad was alive, we tried some factory reloads using .358" bullets, and they keyholed all over the place. Worse, the company used .38 Special sizing dies, and the only reason the heads didn't balloon badly was the low pressure level. I have read that many older .38 S&W revolvers were of poor design, hence the low factory pressures.
    While I want to keep pressure levels within safe limits, I've been thinking that this J-frame Smith is a quality firearm which can probably handle higher pressures than factory loads, and, let's face it, lead round-noses at under 700 fps simply do not do much for anyone, except for target shooters. Since this revolver has a 2" snout, it's not likely to be a serious target piece.
    Enter the 9mm Makarov, with its nominal .361" bore. I am thinking of 95-grain Makarov hollowpoints at around 1000 fps, rougly equaling a .380 ACP ballistically. I'm looking for some loading data that might help me get into the neighborhood. Since my wife and my dad were so close, I wanted her to have his gun as a protector. She doesn't shoot much and is not fond of recoil much beyond that of a .22. I gave it to her for when I'm not around, and I'd like to make it more effective.
    Thanks for your help/advice/suggestions!

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    The .38 S&W is low-powered because it was developed in 1876, when everything used black powder and the guns didn't have to be built to take high pressure. After the nitro ("smokeless") period began, the loadings had to be restricted to pressures that old, black powder-era guns could handle. If you're going to tailor higher-pressure loadings for modern guns, be careful, take your time, pay attention, and let us know how things go.

Here's an article about it by Chuck Hawks: The Forgotten .38 S&W

You can get some here: Ammunition To Go, Ammo Engine, Lucky Gunner, Old Western Scrounger

Make sure the diameter of the bullets you're buying is .361 and not .358.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even though in the US the .38 S&W primarilly remailed in break tops ( other than the pre 1950 J frames ) , in other parts of the world. It remained a front line LE/ Ml ctg , and chambered in strong modern revolvers. Withinin my memory , there have been batches of tradeins and/or contract overruns finding their way into circulation. Quite a few former Royal Hong Kong PD , and some Ruger Service Sixes from Indis IIRC.

In older Speer Manuals there was seperate data for .38 S&W in modern solids frames. A few years ago Handloader had a Pet Loads installment using a Ruger.

To cut to the bottom line , the loads topped out in the range of .38spl std vel .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom