• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Hello all .

So anyone have any recommendations for powder type and loads you like for a 375 holland and holland .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Hello all .

So anyone have any recommendations for powder type and loads you like for a 375 holland and holland .
    Depends on what you are killing but a 300gr Nosler partition on top of 79 grains of RL19 shot very well (sub moa three round groups) in my buddy's No. 1 and my other buddy's cz550. It also straight up hammers anything in north america. The guy with the cz550 used to be a guide in colorado. He's taken bear, elk, and hog with it.

Anything from imr4064/RL15 to the h4831/RL19 range will work. Think of it as a big ass 3006. Close to the same trajectory and a lot of the same powders work well.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Depends on what you are killing but a 300gr Nosler partition on top of 79 grains of RL19 shot very well (sub moa three round groups) in my buddy's No. 1 and my other buddy's cz550. It also straight up hammers anything in north america. The guy with the cz550 used to be a guide in colorado. He's taken bear, elk, and hog with it.

Anything from imr4064/RL15 to the h4831/RL19 range will work. Think of it as a big ass 3006. Close to the same trajectory and a lot of the same powders work well.
    pretty much this...
    IMR 4064. 4320, H4831, *cough* Vargot
    bullets pretty much Sierra, Nosler, Hammers, or Markers...
    Ruger No.1, Remington 700

works well on the occasional ground hog :cool:

-Rock

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    .375 H&H. - For when you can't decide between Big Bore vs Flat Trajectory , just have both .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    .375 H&H. - For when you can't decide between Big Bore vs Flat Trajectory , just have both .
    Haha. That would be 375 cheytac. My partner at a match last year (former co-worker) hauled his around for two days. It was a good idea because the shots went out to 1500yds. Downside is I pretty much had to do all the positional stuff since my rifle was a lot lighter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Oh , there are certainly hotter .375's than H&H ( including my .378 ) , but the .375 H&G accidentally turned out to be somewhat of a sweet spot .

.30-06 trajectories . Not stupid high expansion ratio . Rifles of a weight marginally able to be carried all day .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Oh , there are certainly hotter .375's than H&H ( including my .378 ) , but the .375 H&G accidentally turned out to be somewhat of a sweet spot .

.30-06 trajectories . Not stupid high expansion ratio . Rifles of a weight marginally able to be carried all day .
    Agreed on the sweet spot. I may eventually get a 375 h&h barrel spun up for my sako 75. Currently has a 338wm barrel but the mag is capable of handling the full length magnums so why not have a "big kid" barrel too? I'm not likely to be hunting african game but the 375 does a real number on brake rotors and propane tanks too.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Man, seeing this thread reminded me of an old friend (the epitome of the term, “curmudgeon”) from STM Co - now comfortably in VA, on the west side of I-81 - who did hunt on the African at least a dozen times but whom had his retina detached shooting these caliber rifles.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Man, seeing this thread reminded me of an old friend (the epitome of the term, “curmudgeon”) from STM Co - now comfortably in VA, on the west side of I-81 - who did hunt on the African at least a dozen times but whom had his retina detached shooting these caliber rifles.
    Met a few guys who have hunted african big five. Only one used a 375. The others all said that was for plains game (which is still big there) and used larger calibers on the Five. One actually used an 8 bore double rifle.

Hopefully your friend's sight has been repaired.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Thank you all for the info .. As of right now it will be a range gun but I will like to use it at some point for hunting from dear and bigger . This caliber was kinda bucket list from the days of reading guns and ammo as well as its history . So all this info will help me out quite a bit once I have everything together.

Again thank you all again !!!!

just for reference picked up a Win mod 70 in 375H&H

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Met a few guys who have hunted african big five. Only one used a 375. The others all said that was for plains game (which is still big there) and used larger calibers on the Five. One actually used an 8 bore double rifle.

Hopefully your friend's sight has been repaired.
    I've been to Africa twice. 10 plains game fell to as many shots of .30-06; using 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Including Blue Wildebest, Kudu, and Zebra.
    I also used .375 H&H on Cape Buffalo and Lion. So add me to your .375 H&H fan club list. IMHO not being afraid of the recoil is important to good shooting.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I've been to Africa twice. 10 plains game fell to as many shots of .30-06; using 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Including Blue Wildebest, Kudu, and Zebra.
    I also used .375 H&H on Cape Buffalo and Lion. So add me to your .375 H&H fan club list. IMHO not being afraid of the recoil is important to good shooting.
    Yeah, they do kick a little. I'd probably opt for my sako 75 in 338wm for the plains game and borrow my buddy's mag mauser in 458wm for anything dangerous. I've loaded for and shot his 458 and I love the way it handles.

Out of idle curiosity, did your PH give you any crud about using the 375 for buff?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    No negative comments from the PH about the .375 H&H for the Buffalo.
    Interesting. I've been told by others that some places required larger calibers for the Five. Some confusion regarding this being a law or just the PHs policy.

Considering that just about everything in africa has been documented to have been killed using a 7x57, a 303, and various other medium bores, I still wonder. I know I'd want a 375 and a functional minimum for anything really big. Only one guy I know has hunted elephant and he used the above mentioned 8 bore double rifle. I doubt I will ever be hunting african game so it's mostly a theoretical exercise for me.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a .375 H&H.

NOT a gun I want to shoot a lot. It even moves my hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom