• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    308 AR10 with almost no recoil

Interesting new concept just released, actually the concept isn’t new but the application is.

Enjoy..

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Very cool and I heard about it first on MDS!

Thanks for posting this up; shooter at 2:05 min mark shows the potential in how flat this rifle shoots …

standing by for any fudd ruckus …

:omg:

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Reinventing the old Browning A5/Remington 11 and Browning designed Remington model 8/81 from 1908.
    The old recoil operated guns were very reliable when recoil was kept to certain parameters.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Its wrong to say it has no recoil. It has exactly the same amount of recoil energy. That's just physics. It is is however spread out over a longer period of time so the peak recoil force is lower.

Short/long recoil operated guns don't lock up super accurately so they aren't going to be for precision applications.

Still cool to see someone bringing it to ARs.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Never thought my 10s moved that much to begin with. A good brake or can and all the youngsters shoot them with no worries. The price will hold back sales considerably. Curious as to weight and other specs but couldn’t find much info.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    My 9yr old son shoots my sfar without complaint of recoil. Plenty of effective muzzlebrakes out to tame that ar10 down to ar15 levels. It's a interesting concept adapting the design to an ar10 just seems to me like it's the hard way of going about decreasing perceived recoil.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The Marines fielded a short-recoil gun early in WWII, before the Garand was readily available:
    https://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/johnson-m1941/

They insisted on having bayonet mounting capability, and I can't imagine the twisting and bending forces a bayonet in use would transmit through the lever of the barrel to the action would have helped accuracy and reliability, in addition to the function problems they had because of the difference in recoiling mass with a bayonet.

Interesting rifle, and I'd love to have one in my collection if they weren't going for ridiculous prices these days, but it's easy to see why the Garand won out as the standard service rifle.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Very interesting. Can't see it being the best for accuracy, but it might be a good option for someone with bad shoulders that still wants to shoot centerfire rifles.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    In the slow-mo you can see the recoil on the operator's shoulder. I'm sure it's less than a regular gas gun but it still has some recoil.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Adding a suppressor is probably not feasible either as it would really mess up the mass ratio. You would have to swap recoil springs.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    In 308 length, long stroke recoil has too many downsides for calibers in that range of power. In a magnum length action that can take AC-L mags, would make a lot more sense.

In 308, a big brake and tuned internals/gas can get you pretty close with much faster cycle speed and really light recoil. My 11 YO has been shooting my competition AR308s for a couple years. Really proud of my lightweight 3 gun build, feels like a loud AR15, with a softer/longer recoil feel.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    In 308 length, long stroke recoil has too many downsides for calibers in that range of power. In a magnum length action that can take AC-L mags, would make a lot more sense.

Err, my Remington Model 81, in .300 Savage (similar to .308 Winchester), works just fine. Good for hunting, if a bit heavy, but I wouldn't take it to a match... unless it was for sporter/production class. :-)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Marines fielded a short-recoil gun early in WWII, before the Garand was readily available:
    https://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/johnson-m1941/

They insisted on having bayonet mounting capability, and I can't imagine the twisting and bending forces a bayonet in use would transmit through the lever of the barrel to the action would have helped accuracy and reliability, in addition to the function problems they had because of the difference in recoiling mass with a bayonet.

Interesting rifle, and I'd love to have one in my collection if they weren't going for ridiculous prices these days, but it's easy to see why the Garand won out as the standard service rifle.
    I‘ve owned a couple of M1941 Johnson rifles and while they’re certainly unique in many ways the M1 Garand was a better combat rifle. The Johnson transmitted more felt recoil, the pot belly design made handling a bit different…and you don’t want to be to the right of the shooter…it spat out empty cases 90 degrees with authority!

The easily removable barrel was neat and the bayonet was pretty useless. The easily topped off magazine was a plus but the magazine itself was easily damaged…not a plus in the military rifle.

All that being said…the M1941 Johnson is a super neat rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom