• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I just acquired a Remington 700P .300win mag. 26'' bull barrel with 10'' twist. As of now I do not hand load. What are some factory load recommendations for me to start with? My max range right now will be 600 yds. I may also use this rifle for deer, if I feel like lugging it in one day.

I have looked at Hornady Superformance 180grs, but read a lot of mixed reviews. I understand I have to try and figure out what my gun likes, but I'd like to save a few bucks by going with solid recommendations instead of me guessing and hoping.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Believe it or not, I got really good groups with 180gr Remington Core Lokts. After break in, I sighted in my 700 Sendero II, the last three shots could be covered with a quarter. I have not reloaded any new stuff since I haven't found appropriate powder yet.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    fed makes i think 190g gold medal, that surely should be worth of trying (for the LR precision part, not the hunting part).

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I have used a Rem 700 300 Win Mag for deer the past 15 years. I used factory loads from Remington 150 and 180 grain, Winchester 150 grain, and Federal 150 grain. From my experience shooting deer with those factory loads, the 150s always put the deer in the dirt immediately. The 180s would poke a through and through hole unless I hit the deer directly in the shoulder. Several were shot behind the shoulder with the 180s and never even showed signs of being hit. I would follow in the direction that they went and would find the deer 100 or so yards away with just the small entrance and exit hole. I almost gave up on the 300 and was about to right it off as worthless when I went against everyone else's advice and switched to the 150s. Haven't lost a deer and haven't had to track one since the switch 14 years ago.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Believe it or not, I got really good groups with 180gr Remington Core Lokts. After break in, I sighted in my 700 Sendero II, the last three shots could be covered with a quarter. I have not reloaded any new stuff since I haven't found appropriate powder yet.

Them things shoot great outa my Savage 300 Win-mag.:thumbsup:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    180s are for elk and moose, 150s are for deer.

I agree. When I first bought mine the gun shop owner said "Use 180s in it...if you're gonna shoot lighter bullets ya might as well get a 7mag." I found out after the first season that his advice was wrong concerning bullet weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom