$300 tax deduction for buying a new gun safe.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    Problem is these days $300 does not really get you something secure that would not be a misnomer to call a safe but merely an object that would frustrate an attacker but not an experienced thief if you were on vacation.

Last edited:

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Problem is these days $300 does not really get you something secure that would not be a misnomer to call a safe but merely an object that would frustrate an attacker bot not an experienced thief if you were on vacation.
    The intent doesn’t need to be to provide a free safe, only a credit toward a safe. I’d be happy to get a $300 credit toward another $5000 safe. I received nothing on my last (3).

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    Sounds like a good deal, except for something that I'm not comfortable with. Why does it have to be a $300 tax credit tied to my tax filing? Seems like another way of tracking who has guns. Yeah, sounds pretty tin foil hat, but I wish they would have offered it as a rebate through the safe manufactures and let them file as a tax credit after I purchased one.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Sounds like a good deal, except for something that I'm not comfortable with. Why does it have to be a $300 tax credit tied to my tax filing? Seems like another way of tracking who has guns. Yeah, sounds pretty tin foil hat, but I wish they would have offered it as a rebate through the safe manufactures and let them file as a tax credit after I purchased one.
    So the safe manufacturer files for a tax credit based on unnamed, untraceable purchasers? What could possibly go wrong there?

“Safe manufacturer”: “I sold 30,000 safes to Virginia residents last year, give me my $9M credit”...

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    So the safe manufacturer files for a tax credit based on unnamed, untraceable purchasers? What could possibly go wrong there?

“Safe manufacturer”: “I sold 30,000 safes to Virginia residents last year, give me my $9M credit”...

Honestly, I'm really not that concerned about that. That's a battle between them and the feds.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Problem is these days $300 does not really get you something secure that would not be a misnomer to call a safe but merely an object that would frustrate an attacker but not an experienced thief if you were on vacation.
    Well no but it gets you halfway to something damn decent

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Man, you got me all excited. The one I want is on sale for a hundred bucks off right now which would mean after this tax credit it would only cost me like $250. That's something I could sell the wife on

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    in reading the linked bill, it doesn't say how much the safe has to cost to qualify, if you get a bedside biometric safe for $300, it's pretty much free. And maybe keeps your 6-year-old from shooting the teacher. And if you think they don't know about your guns then you need a new tinfoil hat to protect your thoughts.
    "Eligible transaction" means a transaction in which a taxpayer purchases one or more firearm safety devices from a dealer that is federally licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 923. An "eligible transaction" shall not include the purchase of a firearm.

"Firearm safety device" means
    [ (i) any device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device or (ii) ] a safe, gun safe, gun case, lock box, or other device that is designed to be or can be used to store a firearm and that is designed to be unlocked only by means of a key, a combination, or other similar means.

B. For taxable years beginning on and after January 1, 2023, but before January 1, 2028, a taxpayer shall be allowed a refundable credit against the tax levied pursuant to § 58.1-320 for up to $300 for the cost incurred in the purchase of one or more firearm safety devices in an eligible transaction. A taxpayer shall be allowed only one credit under this section per taxable year. The taxpayer shall submit purchase receipts with the income tax return to verify the amount of purchase price paid for the firearm safety device or firearm safety devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom