• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Last week was SHOTSHOW, and Federal ammunition released a new caliber aimed at the personal defense, concealed carry crowd; called the 30 Super Carry (30SC).

This new caliber is something of a bridge between 9mm and 380ACP.

chart_1-Copy.png

It's slimmer in diameter than the standard/popular .355 (9mm/380), so you can typically get an extra couple cartridges into a standard size magazine. This is a somewhat similar comparison to being able to get an extra couple cartridges in 9mm magazine than a 40Cal; but not as dramatic as the difference in capacity with 45ACP.

The cost is about the same as 380, and probably will never be as popular as 9mm; and I don't expect it to replace military/police as a primary duty caliber.

Federal developed this new caliber over the last ~4 years or so; they have already extensively tested it and are now in full production. There's already two pistols made for it, both are S&W, one is a variation of the Shield, the other is the EZ; the main difference is capacity and lighter recoil spring in the EZ model.

Some folks who have already shot this new caliber have suggested its slightly less in recoil than 9mm; others have described its recoil impulse as snappy, but less push, experienced shooters will understand that.

This caliber was optimized for micro handguns, with higher pressure than 9mm, but a smaller bullet; so it will probably be a bit more efficient in a shorter barrel.

I searched for anyone already discussing this new caliber and could not find any; hope this isn't a repeat thread.

Here's a great video, all about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0a0IyyuHL0

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    sorry for the double post, and thanks.

I guess I don't know how to use the search feature.... I'll look harder next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom