• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Greetings,

Quick question, Sorry if it has been covered before.

The new law states that a person has to wait a 30 day period between firearm purchases. Does this include lowers?
    I had a purchase of a multi pack of stripped lowers and now i am told" that i have to cancel the purchase and buy one piece at a time".
    Is this true? Sorry for beating the dead horse.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The designated collector application is free, and gets you around that nonsense forever.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Have they extended the 30 day wait from handguns to all firearms?

Well that will bring crime to a grinding halt. I for one welcome the coming Utopia.

Glad I got that D.C. letter so many years ago.

OP - you need to become a Designated Collector. We'll get a special compound at the Reeducation Camp.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)

Well that will bring crime to a grinding halt. I for one welcome the coming Utopia.

OP - you need to become a Designated Collector. We'll get a special compound at the Reeducation Camp.
    :) There probably is truth to the Special Compound Reservations.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Not as far as I am aware; the one per 30 day law is for regulated firearms, i.e. handguns. If there had been a change during this last MGA session, it wouldn't be in effect until 1 Oct, anyway.

See: https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2022/public-safety/title-5/subtitle-1/section-5-128/
    and
    https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2022/public-safety/title-5/subtitle-1/section-5-129/

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not as far as I am aware; the one per 30 day law is for regulated firearms, i.e. handguns. If there had been a change during this last MGA session, it wouldn't be in effect until 1 Oct, anyway.

That's what I thought, but TOMB's monosyllabic post gave me pause.

:) There probably is truth to the Special Compound Reservations.
    First arrivals get first choice on bunks.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Designated Collector is definitely the way to go. It cost me $3 to get the form notarized at a UPS store. I could probably have gotten a free notarization at my bank, but the UPS store was closer.

Cal68

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Can't a stripped lower be made into a pistol? I thought that was the reason.
    It is more complicated. Basically under the old law, there was a list of regulated firearms. The law applied to their receivers as well.

When those were then banned, only the firearms themselves were banned. Not the receivers so long as they can be built into some legal configuration (mostly built into pistols). But they are still regulated.

The 30/60 day law applies to all regulated firearms, not pistols. All pistols happen to be regulated firearms though.

To the OP, if it was a multipack of 2, you could have it legally transferred to you. You'd just need to wait 60 days to transfer another regulated firearm. But I assume a multipack is 3, 5, 10, etc. In that case, probably a no. The FFL could transfer you 1 at a time for the next several months, but I assume they are also going to charge you a transfer fee on each one for that kind of trouble and taking up their safe space. Which I assume would get to be $$$ and a serious PITA with all of those trips and paperwork.

Get a designated collector letter and once you have it, buy it again. Or ask if the FFL will hold it for the few weeks till you get your DC and then you can transfer them all at once.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Have two transferred and apply for the collector status. That is usually a 30 day or less turnaround then get your third transferred. If your ffl didn’t tell you that you should shop around.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Can't a stripped lower be made into a pistol? I thought that was the reason.
    No. That's not the reason. The reason is because it(lower) can be made into a banned weapon.

Dedicated AR pistol caliber, as well as their larger cousins(.308 etc) are cash and carry. Not regulated.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Then why isn't it just banned?
    I guess because they are still "parts" of legal guns? The regulating of them gives a 'time stamp' so there's a record of them being purchased post 10/2013. It makes a little sense, but not a lot of sense. It's another one of those, what I call, add on laws. It's not like they are actively enforcing so called copy cat laws, but if they catch you for something else heinous, they can add that to your crime as well.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Outrider and Mark (and ART) hit the nail on the head. As far as AR receiver's being "other", they are...so far as ATF and form 4473 are concerned. But (and this is an important distinction) AR lowers which might could be made into AR15s are Maryland regulated. AR10, AR 9 and other lowers can be transferred as non regulated if the mag well will not readily support 5.56 magazines (and an AR 15 uses them by definition)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom