• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CardBoardBoxProcessor

Oct 14, 2008
    So I bought an AR-10 like 3/28 or so. Did the paper work for it 4/29 (since it had finally been shipped)

If I wanted to buy an AR-15 lower. when is the 30 day between guns period up? Is it already up or is it up after may or after I get my paper work "not disapproved" ?

on a side note. is anyone in MD AA county area selling AR-15 lowers?

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Oct 14, 2008
    It is just what Barts sports world does I suppose :/ I asked and they said nope. I think it was because the ATF guy was there at the time. Better safe than sorry perhaps.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    80% lowers will not be banned after the law takes effect because they are just a hunk of metal. It IS illegal though to take that 80% lower and build a functional lower in MD after the ban. It is illegal to manufacture any illegal guns in MD after 10/1. Basically, get it before 10/1 because you will never get a chance to again as long as you live in MD.

In terms of the 30 day rule, I really have no idea. From what I am to understand, it is 30 days after your paperwork comes through and you pick up your firearm but with the super long waits I don’t know if it is legal for you to order multiple guns while waiting for your current background check to come in. I’m hoping it is legal as I am still waiting for a background check to come in for a glock (60+ days now) but am planning on getting an AR lower in the next few weeks.

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Oct 14, 2008
    And it is currently legal to make a 80% lower functional in MD correct? and anyone know the line where it outlaws 80%? though I suppose that is taboo and should be searched eh.... links appreciated :D thanks.

Slight question. an AR-15 pistol form 80% hunk of metal. whats the route for that?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    And it is currently legal to make a 80% lower functional in MD correct? and anyone know the line where it outlaws 80%? though I suppose that is taboo and should be searched eh.... links appreciated :D thanks.

Slight question. an AR-15 pistol form 80% hunk of metal. whats the route for that?

The 80% lower will ALWAYS be legal because it isn't really a lower. It is legal to possess now and will be legal to possess after October 1, 2013. Now, turning it into a 100% lower after October 1, 2013 will be illegal.

The exact route for the 80% lower at this point is a tough one. I would build it into a 100% lower before October 1, 2013, but documenting that you did it will be the tough part. Ultimately, the State has the burden of proof, but hanging your hat on that would scare me. Think I would keep the receipt for the 80% lower and then try to find out some way to show that you completed it prior to October 1, 2013.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The 80% lower will ALWAYS be legal because it isn't really a lower. It is legal to possess now and will be legal to possess after October 1, 2013. Now, turning it into a 100% lower after October 1, 2013 will be illegal.

The exact route for the 80% lower at this point is a tough one. I would build it into a 100% lower before October 1, 2013, but documenting that you did it will be the tough part. Ultimately, the State has the burden of proof, but hanging your hat on that would scare me. Think I would keep the receipt for the 80% lower and then try to find out some way to show that you completed it prior to October 1, 2013.

Why wouldn't you be able to build an 80% lower into a pistol or HBAR?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Why wouldn't you be able to build an 80% lower into a pistol or HBAR?

The issue is that the lower will be a banned item after October 1, 2013. You will not be able to buy a stripped lower after October 1, 2013. Taking an 80% and building it into a pistol or HBAR is a grey area, but the lower will be a banned item until it is built into an HBAR. Also have no idea how they are going to look at this after October 1, 2013. Safest thing to do is to complete the 80% lower prior to October 1, 2013.

Since stripped AR-15 lowers will be banned after October 1, 2013, I am just reasoning that building an 80% into a stripped AR-15 lower after October 1, 2013 would mean that the person is in possession of a banned lower. Of course, if you can slap a heavy barreled upper on it immediately, you might be good to go, unless they are going to require all post September 30, 2013 lowers be marked for their intended use (e.g., pistol, HBAR).

Pip

May 2, 2013
    Baltimore
    These threads contain all you need to know.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=118372&highlight=Rose+Brock

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=117294&highlight=Rose+Brock

PM me if you have some specific question(s) after reading through those threads.

Thanks, I answered "no" on the 30 day question yesterday as there really was no way to answer "yes" as I put paperwork in and paid 32 days prior and certainly haven't received that regulated firearm within the last 30 days.

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    I filled out paperwork on a regulated firearm on 2/13 and then bought a non regulated firearm on 2/26 with no problems at all.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks, I answered "no" on the 30 day question yesterday as there really was no way to answer "yes" as I put paperwork in and paid 32 days prior and certainly haven't received that regulated firearm within the last 30 days.

Yep, no would be the correct answer under those circumstances. I did the same thing for my April 4 submission after submitting on February 26. Just got approval for the February 26 submission last week.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Ar 10 is non regulated if i am not mistaken I do not see why you would have to wait that pertains to regulated guns.

While this has been argued (that the AR 10's are not regulated), I have not found an FFL who will sell one as unregulated.

If anyone knows of an FFL who accepts AR10 types as unregulated, Please PM me as I would love to get a "cash and carry" AR10.

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Oct 14, 2008
    I emailed the shop and this is the response abut the AR-10. In the political climate of this state I have no issues with them covering their butts.

"IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND, ANYONE PURCHASING
    AN ASSAULT TYPE RIFLE MUST MUST BE APPROVED
    THROUGH THE STATE POLICE (STATE LAW)
    THE NORMAL WAITING PERIOD IS SEVEN DAYS, BUT DUE
    TO THE EXTREMELY HIGH VOLUME OF SALES AND
    BACKLOG - IT IS TAKING UP TO EIGHT WEEKS TO
    OBTAIN AN APPROVAL FROM THE STATE POLICE
    I UNDERSTAND YOUR CONCERN, BUT JUST HANG IN THERE,
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS PROCESS
    THANK YOU"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts