• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I bought a sporterized Krag years ago and have never shot factory ammo through it. I bought a set of dies and a bag of new brass when I got it. Same thing goes for my 41 magnum Blackhawk.

I bought 41 Mag. brass years ago given the ammo expense, and thinking I'd perhaps see major manufacturers drop the cartridge. Hasn't happened yet, and appears now that it might not happen in my lifetime at least. But I love that round, so I can definitely relate to the thought of better safe than sorry.

I'll keep an eye open for anything .30/40 Krag related, and will post it here for you Krag folks if I come across something.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Last time I looked, Lee did not have a neck size die only for 30/40 available.
    I think that would be a worthy addition to their product line up based on my experience with their 303 neck sizer.
    Other wise with barrels from a top maker like SA you can get away with a partial size if you’re shooting more than one rifle.
    I used to use a 7.7 die I think it was. With a small expander with a once fired case to get by at one time for neck sizing do some load outs but I could be wrong it’s been awhile.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Congrats on the Krag. Love mine.
    I had to get the ammo at the show that I purchased it at. It was soft tip hunting ammo.

FYI, when you get into reloading, here was my experience with my Krag

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Last time I looked, Lee did not have a neck size die only for 30/40 available.
    I think that would be a worthy addition to their product line up based on my experience with their 303 neck sizer.
    Other wise with barrels from a top maker like SA you can get away with a partial size if you’re shooting more than one rifle.
    I used to use a 7.7 die I think it was. With a small expander with a once fired case to get by at one time for neck sizing do some load outs but I could be wrong it’s been awhile.
    I know people who set a .308 die to neck size .30-40.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Pew Pew Ammo say's they have 30-40 Krag ammo in stock, but you have to buy a case (200 Rounds). I would suggest calling them before placing an order.

Thank you. I will look into them. I wouldn’t mind buying a case if need be. At the least I would get a good collection of brass to rotate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thanks everyone. Great information. I will definitely be checking at the next show I go to. I would love to try and reload for it.

Kinetic

MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    I'd be willing to front you a couple of boxes of 180 g. Remington PSP now and you could pay me back when it shows up on the shelves.

I know the feeling of having a new toy in the safe and having nothing to feed it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Hand loads can yield good results. .30 Army/Krag is easy to load for, has manageable recoil, kills good and is an easy to work on platform as far as former service rifles go. The last full length rifle I restoed drops them right in there with easy to source 180's from a popular manufacturer and 4064. I remember the barrel diameter being very slightly larger in diameter and having to go over the bedding before these first few shots. (pretty lucky)
    I just re-barreled one the other weekend but, do not expect anything near the same results but you never really know until you lay some aim try it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.JPG
      IMG_0505.JPG
      87.7 KB · Views: 42

JoeinHtown

Jan 23, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Thanks everyone. Great information. I will definitely be checking at the next show I go to. I would love to try and reload for it.

Long-time listener, first-time caller-- Check out Wisconsin Cartridge Company. They are showing $50 for 20 rounds, limit of 100 rounds. It was the only place I could find 30-40 when I bought my first Krag some years back, and have made a few purchase from them over the years with no complaints. I definitely second the recommendation about reloading for this cartridge. At $2.50/round the math is easy. Enjoy!

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'd be willing to front you a couple of boxes of 180 g. Remington PSP now and you could pay me back when it shows up on the shelves.

I know the feeling of having a new toy in the safe and having nothing to feed it.

Thank you so much. Sorry I am just seeing this. I will message you tomorrow and see if we can make that work. I appreciate your help man!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Long-time listener, first-time caller-- Check out Wisconsin Cartridge Company. They are showing $50 for 20 rounds, limit of 100 rounds. It was the only place I could find 30-40 when I bought my first Krag some years back, and have made a few purchase from them over the years with no complaints. I definitely second the recommendation about reloading for this cartridge. At $2.50/round the math is easy. Enjoy!

Welcome ! Now that you've broken the ice , don't wait another 10 years to post again .

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I started shooting Krags as a teenager in the late 60's. Back then you could still buy cheap old Army surplus Krag ammo at the local gunshows, for a couple dollars per hundred. Shot a hellacious amount of stuff that fetches big bucks on the collector market now. Oh well, c'est la vie. As time progressed I bought and saved .30 Army brass far in excess of then current needs for feeding the Krags that populated my life. Now as I coast into the Golden Years I'm pretty well set and am really glad about my brass hoarding ways earlier in life.

Hint: when you do find brass, snag a bullet mold too. That way you can shoot mostly cheap reduced loads which will extend the life expectancy of your brass tremendously. And don't forget to anneal case necks/shoulders religiously - that goes a long way toward preserving rare/expensive brass too.

Note: I see Krag ammo for sale now in the classifieds here. I can vouch for the seller as a good guy. I bought the Krag rifle that was in the ad, but left the ammo as I didn't need it.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I started shooting Krags as a teenager in the late 60's. Back then you could still buy cheap old Army surplus Krag ammo at the local gunshows, for a couple dollars per hundred. Shot a hellacious amount of stuff that fetches big bucks on the collector market now. Oh well, c'est la vie. As time progressed I bought and saved .30 Army brass far in excess of then current needs for feeding the Krags that populated my life. Now as I coast into the Golden Years I'm pretty well set and am really glad about my brass hoarding ways earlier in life.

Hint: when you do find brass, snag a bullet mold too. That way you can shoot mostly cheap reduced loads which will extend the life expectancy of your brass tremendously. And don't forget to anneal case necks/shoulders religiously - that goes a long way toward preserving rare/expensive brass too.

Note: I see Krag ammo for sale now in the classifieds here. I can vouch for the seller as a good guy. I bought the Krag rifle that was in the ad, but left the ammo as I didn't need it.
    Still available and cheaper than any on the market today. Also reloading dies never used. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom