• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Ok, this may be a really dumb question but I'm a noob so I'll just ask it. That's what I'm here for, I guess. :) I just bought a box of Hornady .30-30 ballistic tip (flex tip) ammo for a Winchester 94. These are ok to load in the tube mag, right?

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    The hornaday leverlution(spelling?)are the ONLY pointed bullets you should use in a rifle with a tubular magazine. Using any pointed hard nose bullet you risk detonating the other cartridges in the magazine from the point of one bullet resting on the primer of the one in front of it. Flat nose bullets or the hornaday bullet in the above link are the only bullets for tube mags. However if you use it as single shot any bullet can be used.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    If its a flex tip (has a soft spongy tip)which is made by Hornady - then it is ok to use them in a tube fed. The flex tip was designed for that use. If its a genuine poly carbonate Ballistic Tip, as made by Nosler, I would not use them in a tube fed gun - as there is a chance of a chain fire.

The flex tips should flatten, and reshape if you push the tip on a hard surface like a table.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    You have flex tip (soft) which are fine, not Ballistic tip (hard) which aren't. As long as you don't confuse the two you'll be fine.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I, too, have been looking at the Hornady LEVERevelotion for their flat trajectory out to 200 yds. Here is Hornady's product page:
    http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-Win-140-gr-monoflex-Leverevolution/

Make sure to note that these should not be left in you gun's tube magazine for days at a time. I'd think you'd be ok as long as you unload after shooting or hunting every day. Here's the quote from the Hornady website:
    "For optimum performance we do not recommend storing LEVERevolution ammunition in tubular magazines for extended periods, as this can result in tip deformation."

Pretty awesome performance for a 30-30...
    :thumbsup:

Mildot

Nov 23, 2011
    Arnold, MD
    I use the flex tip in my 94 and have had no feed problems and they shoot very well. Now that you reminded me I may have to get out this week and put a few rounds through it!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Before they came out, you had the choice between a full mag tube of RN and crappy ballistics, or 2 handloaded spitzers, one in the chamber, 1 in the tube. The flex tip are awesome, most of the performance of spitzers, but tube safe. I have also played around with them in handgun calibers like 357 and 44 mag, and they perform well at relatively long range out of handguns and carbines.

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Thank you all for the response, and yes BlackBart, that is exactly what I bought. I was 99% sure they were safe but it doesn't hurt to ask when I have access to a community like this to chime in for me.

Sadly I didn't get a chance to use them this weekend due to other family obligations, but the gun is cleaned up and ready to go as soon as I have time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom