• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owldo

Ultimate Member
    On one hand, I can understand conserving resources for the fights you can win.

On the other hand, NRA gives a lot of crap away to promote the brand and keep the Free Sh!t Army Reserve happy.

On the third hand, the organisation has long ago moved its primary mission from teaching and 2A defense to promoting NRA and sucking bucks. Perhaps they realised that winnig th 2A fight would hit them in the wallet?

Like everyone says, Deep 6 WLP and I'll contribute again.

Deep 6 WLP and I'll contribute again.

Yep ! What he said .... Plus if I ever become a contributing member again I will need to be able to vote on all board members and director ... I'll hold my breath now !

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yep ! What he said .... Plus if I ever become a contributing member again I will need to be able to vote on all board members and director ... I'll hold my breath now !
    Yup.

Voting for the Board has been rendered an exercise in futility; they increased the BoD to something like 78 members. Good luck getting anything changed.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Back when Shannon was the rep, all the orgs worked together. Now.....

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    The case is captioned Kipke v. Moore. It was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland. NRA’s state affiliate, the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association, is also a plaintiff to the case.

interestly...

George Levi Russell III (D. Maryland)​

appointment by Obama

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The case is captioned Kipke v. Moore. It was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland. NRA’s state affiliate, the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association, is also a plaintiff to the case.

interestly...

George Levi Russell III (D. Maryland)​

appointment by Obama
    I've got an unpopular take

Why do organizations ask for plaintiffs if they're just going to use wives of politicians and their own board members?

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018

Why do organizations ask for plaintiffs if they're just going to use wives of politicians and their own board members?
    I wondered the same thing.

At least in the NRA thing probably a gift to advertise the business.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

The attorneys presenting the argument make the final decision on named plaintiffs based on their own calculus and discussions with the potential plaintiff pool.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh

Some people run their mouths too much online to be viable plaintiffs. I'm not sure if this applies to you specifically, but I know of two people who were disqualified as potential plaintiffs because their social media didn't check out to the standards set by those bringing the suit (read: the firm, but by extension the gun rights group itself).

The attorneys presenting the argument make the final decision on named plaintiffs based on their own calculus and discussions with the potential plaintiff pool.

This is the winner right here. To be honest, I was actually a little surprised to learn that the plaintiffs were who they were, but that was mostly my own naïveté as opposed to any real surprise. Of course, all things being equal, it would be those people.

Regardless, it is wholly unimportant that a "lesser" plaintiff wasn't brought with this particular round of suits. The important part is getting the summary judgment (ha), if not that then the injunction, and then regardless of that, the case law that stands in our favor. The rest is minutiae.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

One of the MSI Plaintiffs is just a regular member, but has a particular exact set of circumstances .

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Plaintiff selection is hard and not everyone (damn few) want to expose themselves as a named plaintiff in MD. You will note that the complaint includes home addresses. And not everyone would be a good plaintiff for other reasons. I hated to have to say no to some these folks. MSI will also be relying on its members to give it representational standing. So just because a member of MSI is not a named plaintiff does not mean they are not an important part of the suit.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Plaintiff selection is hard and not everyone (damn few) want to expose themselves as a named plaintiff in MD. You will note that the complaint includes home addresses. And not everyone would be a good plaintiff for other reasons. I hated to have to say no to some these folks. MSI will also be relying on its members to give it representational standing. So just because a member of MSI is not a named plaintiff does not mean they are not an important part of the suit.
    If you are not a member JOIN! If you are a member recruit your friends, neighbors, and shooting associates because numbers are important. MDS has over 30,000 members MSI has 3,000 members but the work they do for Maryland gun owners is much more important. MSI membership only costs $25 here is a link:

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    If you are not a member JOIN! If you are a member recruit your friends, neighbors, and shooting associates because numbers are important. MDS has over 30,000 members MSI has 3,000 members but the work they do for Maryland gun owners is much more important. MSI membership only costs $25 here is a link:
    I became an executive member of MSI the day the governor signed the law as my official protest against SB1.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Thanks for your effort.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'd feel better if the NRA, MSI, SAF, and GOA fought together.

Does anyone know if the lead attorney in this case, John Parker Sweeney, has ever won a 2nd amendment civil rights case?
    Sweeney has been lead counsel in several MD 2A lawsuits, Most of them started in 2013 after FSA2013. All got shot down in the 4th Circuit, none made it to SCOTUS.
    I like him, I trust him, back then I wish he would have made a few changes to the arguments, but back then NRA was paying the bill and MSI, MSRPA, and AGC were riding their coat tails on those lawsuits.
    Mark has worked with him, and they colaberate quite often.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm probably almost as pissed at the NRA as all of us. However, it is my understanding that they have helped (and continue to help) with a lot behind the scenes that most folks don't hear about.

I suspect there are a lot of lawsuits just firing up with some heavy collaboration going on. ;)

Obviously I'm team MSI all the way, but there's nothing wrong with having allies.
    NRA-ILA does, yes.

NRA the membership and training organization...Not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom