• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raisingthebar

Sep 26, 2022
    Maryland
    So are the 2a sanctuaries in MD just a namesake? The assault list still seems to apply to everyone I talk to and nobody actually acts in accordance with being a “sanctuary “

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    So are the 2a sanctuaries in MD just a namesake? The assault list still seems to apply to everyone I talk to and nobody actually acts in accordance with being a “sanctuary “
    Wicomico County seemed to be the only exception, or at least appeared as such because the Sheriff at the time promoted the idea of Second Amendment sanctuaries just like how there are sanctuaries on immigration. I heard that Somerset and Worcester counties declared themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries, and that Sheriff Mike Lewis of Wicomico County withdrew the resolution in order to continue discussions on what can be compromised, which doesn't work and won't work. Plus, with the Bruen decision, there's practically no room for compromise on our Second Amendment rights. The idea is that if Democrats and some Republicans refuse to enforce federal immigration laws, then Republicans and some Democrats can refuse to enforce federal firearm laws. In our constitutional republic, we can't choose which laws to enforce, but we either enforce all laws or enforce no laws at all, which the latter is impossible. I think that all federal gun control should be done away with, and that the ATF should be abolished.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Inasmuch as MSP is lead agency for firearms regulation , and the respective SA ( actual SA , not ASA ) sets policy on what gets prosecuted , whatever a Sheriff or County Council does is largely symbolic .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Now , if we had a Sheriff that said to the effect of " In the. Interest of public safety , the Sheriff Dept will place great emphasis on quickly and efficiently serving Court Orders for involuntary Mental Health Examinations . and arrest warrants for actual assault . But we won't do no stink'in Red Flags .. " , then the commitment would be meaningful .

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Interesting first post OP.
    Namesake or about votes I ask. Similar to Feds saying marijuana is illegal to possess with jail time and Maryland coming out and saying "Hey, party on, small amounts are only misdemeanors here in D land".

I have heard it said that a presidential candidate that runs on legalizing pot will win and I bet that would win more votes than lose votes. However, big business has them clamoring for who gets pay offs before scaling back on a fed level. Just a thought.

klutch

Mar 27, 2018
    Wicomico County seemed to be the only exception, or at least appeared as such because the Sheriff at the time promoted the idea of Second Amendment sanctuaries just like how there are sanctuaries on immigration. I heard that Somerset and Worcester counties declared themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries, and that Sheriff Mike Lewis of Wicomico County withdrew the resolution in order to continue discussions on what can be compromised, which doesn't work and won't work. Plus, with the Bruen decision, there's practically no room for compromise on our Second Amendment rights. The idea is that if Democrats and some Republicans refuse to enforce federal immigration laws, then Republicans and some Democrats can refuse to enforce federal firearm laws. In our constitutional republic, we can't choose which laws to enforce, but we either enforce all laws or enforce no laws at all, which the latter is impossible. I think that all federal gun control should be done away with, and that the ATF should be abolished.
    Does Mike Lewis look OK for the general election?

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Does Mike Lewis look OK for the general election?
    From what I understand about him, he was Sheriff of Wicomico County since December 2006. From what I know, it is not easy to defeat an incumbent candidate, either Democrat or Republican. The issue where he withdrew the 2A sanctuary resolution will cause him to lose votes, no question about it. It's just by how much, which would be a concern for his re-election campaign on whether or not he truly supports the Second Amendment. I haven't paid attention to anything regarding the general election for Sheriff of Wicomico County, so I cannot say for sure whether or not Mike Lewis looks ok. I don't even know the results from the primary (i.e., who else ran and the vote tallies).

klutch

Mar 27, 2018
    From what I understand about him, he was Sheriff of Wicomico County since December 2006. From what I know, it is not easy to defeat an incumbent candidate, either Democrat or Republican. The issue where he withdrew the 2A sanctuary resolution will cause him to lose votes, no question about it. It's just by how much, which would be a concern for his re-election campaign on whether or not he truly supports the Second Amendment. I haven't paid attention to anything regarding the general election for Sheriff of Wicomico County, so I cannot say for sure whether or not Mike Lewis looks ok. I don't even know the results from the primary (i.e., who else ran and the vote tallies).

Here are the results from the primary election:

klutch

Mar 27, 2018

Forgive my ignorance but I didn't bother to look at the results for Sheriff of Wicomico, but Lewis has no challenger for the general.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Forgive my ignorance but I didn't bother to look at the results for Sheriff of Wicomico, but Lewis has no challenger for the general.
    I don't even know about the Sheriff for Dorchester County. The Sheriff's elections aren't usually talked about a lot, unless if it deals with replacing corrupt anto-2A sheriffs in California. One of them literally only gave carry permits to doners and those loyal to her. That's messed up.

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    Sheriff of AA county has provided a sanctuary county to all the criminals riding dirt bikes and act on the roads.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Inasmuch as MSP is lead agency for firearms regulation , and the respective SA ( actual SA , not ASA ) sets policy on what gets prosecuted , whatever a Sheriff or County Council does is largely symbolic .
    At best the sheriff or chief of police might not arrest you.

An FFL for sure isn't going to ignore state or federal law. So good luck buying your "assault weapons" from a dealer.

I mean, I guess one might decide to play F around and find out, but it is the STATE police and ATF who audit their books. And both are well aware of what the state and federal laws are...

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I would not hold your breath for anything 2A in MD. They are now trying to work around the shall issue just as NY has done. They are waiting until after Novembers election. Who ever the winner is, the pendulem will swing in that direction and the only saving grace is that Dan Cox wins. Therefore all you armchair conseratives, independants and appropriate think people need to vote. After Novembers election I challange everyone to post their I Voted sticker and then we will know who is the bull shitters.

klutch

Mar 27, 2018
    I would not hold your breath for anything 2A in MD. They are now trying to work around the shall issue just as NY has done. They are waiting until after Novembers election. Who ever the winner is, the pendulem will swing in that direction and the only saving grace is that Dan Cox wins. Therefore all you armchair conseratives, independants and appropriate think people need to vote. After Novembers election I challange everyone to post their I Voted sticker and then we will know who is the bull shitters.
    I took the trouble to do a long write-up as to whom to support for the election. Here is that link if you're interested:

https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/decision-2022-general-election.269019/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom