• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • packinacannon

Sep 23, 2012
    Hi, I have a current Arizona ccl. I passed the required cc course issued thru bass pro in MD. years back. Passed the MD. State Police test and have a issued card stating i passed their requirements. Had finger prints and photos done. Will this license be valid once MD. Starts adhering to the new law? Will i automatically be issued or what will be asked of me to comply? Thanks

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hi, I have a current Arizona ccl. I passed the required cc course issued thru bass pro in MD. years back. Passed the MD. State Police test and have a issued card stating i passed their requirements. Had finger prints and photos done. Will this license be valid once MD. Starts adhering to the new law? Will i automatically be issued or what will be asked of me to comply? Thanks
    Welcome back, I don't see too many posts since 2012.

Not an expert here. However, I do see a bit of missing info in your message.

Where is your residence? Md, AZ or where?
    Also, was the class through Bass Pro a 16 hour course? How many " years back" was it? Pretty Sure AZ only requires a 2 hour class. So I seriously doubt AS IS,, that you will have MD's alotted number of hours to fulfill their HOOPS to jump though. In addition, one needs LIVE FIRE and likely resubmitting CURRENT fingerprints Livescan, and a Specified size Photo submitted electronically along with the application and other things found as per the info posted elsewhere. I will see if I can post a link where all this info can be found.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Whenever Maryland does address this issue they will have to address out of state residents and how they will let them honor their carry rights.

Whether they will offer reciprocity or non-resident permits.

packinacannon

Sep 23, 2012
    Welcome back, I don't see too many posts since 2012.

Not an expert here. However, I do see a bit of missing info in your message.

Where is your residence? Md, AZ or where?
    Also, was the class through Bass Pro a 16 hour course? How many " years back" was it? Pretty Sure AZ only requires a 2 hour class. So I seriously doubt AS IS,, that you will have MD's alotted number of hours to fulfill their HOOPS to jump though. In addition, one needs LIVE FIRE and likely resubmitting CURRENT fingerprints Livescan, and a Specified size Photo submitted electronically along with the application and other things found as per the info posted elsewhere. I will see if I can post a link where all this info can be found.
    Thanks for the reply. My course was 8 hrs. in MD. No live fire. But i did pass all MD. asked of me and have a certification of it. Photo and prints were done in MD to State Police requirements at that time and are still being honored by Arizona Utah and Virginia. But i'm sure good old horse and buggy MD. will find some way to stall this.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. My course was 8 hrs. in MD. No live fire. But i did pass all MD. asked of me and have a certification of it. Photo and prints were done in MD to State Police requirements at that time and are still being honored by Arizona Utah and Virginia. But i'm sure good old horse and buggy MD. will find some way to stall this.
    If you don't have a good current license, you'll need to do everything again. 16hr MD complaint class with live fire. Fingerprints, photo, etc.

Its a brand new application at this point. A renewal is only valid if your W&C permit has not expired. Renewal just involves a fee ($50?) and an 8hr class. Currently it is renew 2 years for your first renewal and then every 3 years there after.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

So, State of Residence?
    When were Prints and Photo- done to Md State Police requirements?

The others have likely answered about the other hoops.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Prints are good for 30 days.
    Training is good for 2 years, assuming it is 16 hours with live fire or accepted substitute.

packinacannon

Sep 23, 2012
    If you don't have a good current license, you'll need to do everything again. 16hr MD complaint class with live fire. Fingerprints, photo, etc.

Its a brand new application at this point. A renewal is only valid if your W&C permit has not expired. Renewal just involves a fee ($50?) and an 8hr class. Currently it is renew 2 years for your first renewal and then every 3 years there after.
    My license thru Arizona is current. Finger prints were done at the Waldorf MD. Sheriffs dept. Passport photos done locally all in MD. where i live.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Your Arizona license is not worth squat in MD.
    If you don't hold a MD ccw now. You need have the required MD 16 hr training within the last 2 years and prints within the last 30 days. You have to start over.
    I cant get much clearer than that.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Prints are good for 30 days.
    Training is good for 2 years, assuming it is 16 hours with live fire or accepted substitute.
    Why do they need fresh fingerprints? Do they change over time? As I recall, I had to submit fingerprints when I did the HQL. I did another set another set with TSA when I applied to fly into the restricted airspace around National. I had numerous fingerprints when I worked with DoD. Can't we do this once and centerally file them?

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Nope. Sorry. New fingerprints are required.
    Why? Because that is how the law is written.
    The only place where Maryland will cut you some slack is that you do not need to submit new fingerprints when you renew your carry permit.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Why do they need fresh fingerprints? Do they change over time? As I recall, I had to submit fingerprints when I did the HQL. I did another set another set with TSA when I applied to fly into the restricted airspace around National. I had numerous fingerprints when I worked with DoD. Can't we do this once and centerally file them?
    Sure, figure out how to get all of them to share the same fingerprint database. Until then, new prints for a nw item (i.e. W&C, HQL, etc)

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Fingerprints submitted for administrative purposes are NOT RETAINED by the FBI or CJIS.

For each application, your fingerprint impressions are reduced to 20 two digit codes, and that’s what is transmitted to the FBI, along with your name, dob, SSN, etc.

The FBI and CJIS do a name search for possible matches, and run that set of 40 characters through a search engine. Only if a possible match is found so they actually look at an image of your prints, to confirm or rule out a match with a criminal record.

Then the entire packet of data is DELETED.

Nobody is willing (or allowed) to create and pay for a database housing a billion sets of fingerprint cards.

MSP and other agencies run FP checks that are fresh (less than 30 days old) to determine if You have been arrested/charged with any crime in the past month to birth. They don’t know that you’ve been fingerprinted before, they don’t care.

New application? New fingerprints. Every time.

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    Sure they could change over time. You could slice and dice all your fingers and change your prints. Happens all the time lol.

Your class you took wont count anyway because it wasnt the 16 hr class. it was enough for AZ permit. not MD.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Fingerprints submitted for administrative purposes are NOT RETAINED by the FBI or CJIS.

For each application, your fingerprint impressions are reduced to 20 two digit codes, and that’s what is transmitted to the FBI, along with your name, dob, SSN, etc.

The FBI and CJIS do a name search for possible matches, and run that set of 40 characters through a search engine. Only if a possible match is found so they actually look at an image of your prints, to confirm or rule out a match with a criminal record.

Then the entire packet of data is DELETED.

Nobody is willing (or allowed) to create and pay for a database housing a billion sets of fingerprint cards.

MSP and other agencies run FP checks that are fresh (less than 30 days old) to determine if You have been arrested/charged with any crime in the past month to birth. They don’t know that you’ve been fingerprinted before, they don’t care.

New application? New fingerprints. Every time.
    I was wondering about the fingerprinting process. Thanks for the info. Is this why you have to send your fingerprints into the ATF every time you submit for a tax stamp?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maryland already issues to non residents , with no distinction .

What actually was the previous 8hr class ? Maryland has never had an 8 hr class for ( regular civilians) W&C . Prior to 10/ 01/ 2013 there was no training requirements . After 10/ 13 jumped straight to 16hrs . ( Security Gaurds, Private Investigator , and SPO had seperate training requirements.)

Perchance that was an 8 hr HQL class ? If so , no relationship to an W&C class .

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I was wondering about the fingerprinting process. Thanks for the info. Is this why you have to send your fingerprints into the ATF every time you submit for a tax stamp?
    Correct- the ATF doesn’t have the authority or capability to receive and store actual fingerprints. That’s a process handled by the FBI.

FBI only retains actual fingerprint details on persons arrested and charged with a crime, and DOD personnel (for identification purposes only.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom