• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If I bring this and suck, will the hazing be short?

Comps are so much harder and I want to try, but Been hesitant to not knowing all that’s involved. this sounds like an inviting bunch though.

08edf6fd68389dbf089e67891d90c6a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thats a great setup. The only thing missing is a bipod.

If you show up to a match and let people know you are new, you'll get as much help as you want. Bridgeville is close to you so go try it!

I would not get any more gear other than a bipod until you have shot 4 to 5 matches. You can always borrow gear which is way cheaper than buying and realizing that you dont like it.

Link to the match at bridgeville

Link to a NRL22 match which would also be a good introduction in august

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Although I enjoy all the rimfire PRS matches, matches with fewer competitors might be more instructive for beginners due to the ability of the MD's to run the matches at a slower pace. I would recommend the MARS matches at Bridgeville DE (BRPC) and Quinton NJ (not as far away as it sounds) and the NRL22 matches hosted (as Swaim13 indicates) at Anne Arundel Fish and Game (AAFG). The Match Directors at these ranges (Steve, Mike and Jim) will go out of their way to help out beginners, as will the shooters.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Does it have a detachable mag? Did I read right, these competitions require a 22lr with detachable?
    It looks like its a CZ457 VPT which has a detachable magazine. Detachable magazines are required for NRL22 and MARS.

If you dont have a rifle with one and want to try it, message the match director before the match and they typically have an extra rifle they can let you use to try a couple of matches

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It looks like its a CZ457 VPT which has a detachable magazine. Detachable magazines are required for NRL22 and MARS.

If you dont have a rifle with one and want to try it, message the match director before the match and they typically have an extra rifle they can let you use to try a couple of matches
    Thank you Swaim13.
    Are there videos of what these matches are like? Not that I have time or money to afford gas to travel to Delaware, but I would like to keep options open for the future.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Swaim is right, cz457 and thanks for details above. I’ve been watching matches on YouTube by searching nrl22 to get idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Thank you Swaim13.
    Are there videos of what these matches are like? Not that I have time or money to afford gas to travel to Delaware, but I would like to keep options open for the future.
    So there are some photos but not a ton of videos at https://www.macguns.photo/
    He is a local photographer who takes photos of shooting matches and other stuff for fun.

Closer to you, there are three clubs that host matches. Mayberry (9/4), York (9/25), and BCFG (9/25).

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    IMPACT!

Just a reminder - Space is still available for rimfire shooters for the Bridgeville MARS match on Saturday 7/16. This is an afternoon shoot – you don’t even have to get out of bed early on Saturday. The competition is OPEN, and BPRC membership is not required.

All you need to participate is:
    - a scoped 22LR rifle with a detachable magazine and 150+ rounds of ammo
    (the scope should be zeroed at a known distance – usually 50 yards)
    - two or more magazines that can allow the shooter to shoot up to 20 rounds per stage (for example two 10 round mags) with no mags exceeding a 17 round capacity,
    - a detachable bipod, shooting glasses, ear protection and $20 per shooter

Other attending shooters will have a plethora of ancillary equipment such as bags, ballistic calculations etc. that they will lend to new shooters.

MARS is a family friendly organization – boys/girls/teens/wives are welcome – to shoot or just watch. The MARS matches run by this Match Director are very new shooter friendly and the MD has specifically designed the Course of Fire for this match to be new shooter friendly, with relatively LARGE targets and lots of shooting.

The Match Director will have the Course of Fire for this match posted on practiscore.com and/or emailed to registered shooters on the Thursday or Friday before the match.

There is usually a short 50 yard sight-in period just before the match begins. (Course targets are not shot during the sight-in period.) There will be two pavilions set up behind the firing lines for shade. Shooters might want to bring fold-out/beach chairs for themselves and family members.

Come on out and give MARS rimfire PRS a shot. Beware, you might just get “hooked”.

PS – Pre-registration using a free account on practiscore.com is appreciated.
    PPS – Do not bring a semi-auto centerfire rifle or pistol into the state of DE. (Rimfire rifles are A-OK.)

https://practiscore.com

https://practiscore.com/bridgeville-mars-precision-rimfire-july-16-2022/register

https://modernamericanrimfireseries.com/

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    I'd be curious to learn about the course of fire/how the matches are structured. I've got an RPR that I've shot a bit but this could be fun.
    Bertfish, your rpr would be a great rifle to shoot the MARS and NRL22 matches. As for the courses of fire at Bridgeville. I try to design stages that will be fun and challenging for all groups of shooters.

Most stages consist of 1 to 5 steel targets that vary in size from 1/4 to 10 inches or larger in some cases. Targets are at different distances out to 210 yards. Shooters use props/ barricades to support the rifle to engage the targets. Ringing steel is always fun. It brings smiles to everyone's face to have a report from the impact of the round on target. Much more fun than punching holes in paper. You have 90 to 120 seconds to hit as many targets as possible.

Shooters need not worry about the competition aspect of the shoots at Bridgeville. We all have fun and try to help each other improve. The competition can be as much or as little as you want. Kids under 16 can have parents safely help the kids move rifle from different positions. It is a great venue for a day at the range with a spouse or kids. Stages are like a shooting gallery and keeps shooters engaged. I did see a post that someone was worried about hazing. I can say I have never seen it at Bridgeville. We are fortunate to have a great bunch of shooters who support and help each other improve. There's the occasional ribbing, but that is just for good fun. I will attach two of the stages for the shot on the 16th of July. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to come check out the match or preferably participate. Any questions, please reachout.

Hope to see you there,

Steve J

Match Director

Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol Club

Attachments

• Stage+1+Try+your+limits+_248603b3.pdf
      25 KB · Views: 84
    • Stage+4+Portholes_248f03b7 (1).pdf
      19.9 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics