• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    If you haven’t tried it yet, rimfire PRS shooting is a fun and challenging shooting discipline, and is growing exponentially in the US. All that is needed to compete is a scoped 22LR rifle (bolt or semi-auto) with a detachable magazine (that is zeroed at a known distance) and about 100-150 rounds of ammo. (You do NOT need a fancy, expensive rifle and scope.) MARS and NRL22 are two of the organizations sponsoring 22LR PRS events in the region and nationally.

One of the best ranges/matches to try out and learn this discipline are the MARS sanctioned matches held at the Bridgeville DE BRPC range (https://brpc-de.com/). Steve J, the Match Director, runs these matches in a low pressure / low key manner with LOTS of assistance provided during the matches to new and beginner shooters. Steve has also sponsored several live-fire practice sessions at BRPC to introduce new shooters to PRS procedures and some of the typical stages used in PRS competitions. The experienced shooters at MARS matches are very helpful and will lend new shooters equipment and help them with dope determination.

The next MARS match at Bridgeville will be held on Saturday afternoon, July 16th. Registration through Practiscore is greatly appreciated (this makes setting up the squads much easier for the MD), but “walk-ons” are welcome! (Match fee is $20)

To register for MARS competitions, set up a free personal account on Practiscore.com. This is the online website used by most of the shooting disciplines to schedule matches and report match results.

If you have any questions about the Bridgeville matches, please do not hesitate to PM (start a Conversation?) me through MDS.

NOTE: Rimfire rifles are NOT included in the new DE laws restricting “assault rifles”. You are A-OK to transport and use 22LR rifles in Delaware.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'd be curious to learn about the course of fire/how the matches are structured. I've got an RPR that I've shot a bit but this could be fun.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    The COF for the July 16 BRPC match has not yet been set, and will be a bit difficult to post as it is usually in a format of nine individual pdf files. These are emailed out to Practicore registered shooters the night before the match so shooters can see what they will be shooting the next day. (Another reason to sign up through Practiscore.)

Here is a link to download the 2022 NRL22 COF's which are quite similar to MARS matches, although the BRPC matches will go out to 200 yards or so (as well as much closer targets).

Shooters are divided into Squads (usually 5 to 12 per Squad depending on the range and sign-up numbers), and Squads move through the timed stages, with all the shooters in each Squad completing the same stage before moving to the next stage. Stages usually include some sort of element to be shot from (benchtops, prone, ladders, rooftops, barrels, ropes, tank-traps etc.) and targets consist of steel plates (round, square, diamond shapes and KYL ranks, spinners etc.) at various distances, with targets getting larger with increased distances. (FYI - These matches closely approximate centerfire PRS match formats, but at maximum distances of about 300-400 yards (at some ranges) rather than 700-800 yards.)

An RPR with a scope and a known zero is more than adequate for these matches. Lots of guys shoot RPR's.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If you get to White Marsh you are welcome to handle mine but if I fire a gun in this neighborhood I'm sure I'll be swarmed with cops

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I’ve been interested in getting into Precision Rimfire. What kind of Rifle and Scope is reccomended for someone getting into the sport?
    There are numerous makes of rifles and scopes that are in use, but a basic 22LR rifle (bolt or semi-auto) with a detachable magazine (10 or more rounds) and a basic scope (even a SFP scope) will get you going. I would STRONGLY recommend you attend a match or two and talk to the shooters - they will talk your ears off about their equipment - before you make any equipment investment. If you currently own a bolt action 22LR rifle or a semi like a Ruger 10/22 with a scope with magnification from 8X to about 16X that has some sort of graduations on the reticle (MOA or MILS) you are good to go. A quickly detachable bipod is also pretty much required. You do need to have the rifle sighted in at a given distance - a 50 yard zero is most common. If you have a variable power SFP scope, you must leave it on the magnification that you have set as your zero - 10X would be good. This is not required for FFP scopes.

CZ, Ruger and other well known names make detachable mag 22LR bolt rifles that are used and competitive, and several companies target this market specifically (like RimX and VooDoo) with very nice rifles. Semi-autos seem to be virtually all Ruger 10/22's. Scopes purchased specifically for this discipline should be FFP (First Focal Plane) with a magnification range from about 8X to at least 16X (some may recommend lower than 8X). Typical 22 PRS scopes are 6-24X FFP, and there are many brands that make good to superlative scopes, depending on the money you are willing to spend. This is a precision shooting sport, so rifles that are more accurate have the ability to garner higher scores, but benchrest level precision is NOT required.

I shoot a Ruger 10/22 with a Kidd SS match barrel and a Kidd 2-stage trigger pillar/epoxy bedded into a laminated stock with an Athlon HELOS 8-34X scope. I've been beaten by guys with off-the-shelf 10/22's. I'll also be trying out an old Remington 541-T rifle with a few 10-round mags. Both are more than adequate.

There is a bunch of ancillary equipment that is typically used such as bags of various sorts, ballistics software, extra mags, scope levels, Arca rails etc.etc., but purchase of these items shouldn't be done until after at least some experience is acquired.

Again, I would strongly recommend that anyone interested in this sport attend a rimfire PRS match, and preferably "bring what you got" and try shooting.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    If I bring this and suck, will the hazing be short?

Comps are so much harder and I want to try, but Been hesitant to not knowing all that’s involved. this sounds like an inviting bunch though.

08edf6fd68389dbf089e67891d90c6a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuckyBoy

Jun 27, 2022
    Ellicott City, MD
    There are numerous makes of rifles and scopes that are in use, but a basic 22LR rifle (bolt or semi-auto) with a detachable magazine (10 or more rounds) and a basic scope (even a SFP scope) will get you going. I would STRONGLY recommend you attend a match or two and talk to the shooters - they will talk your ears off about their equipment - before you make any equipment investment. If you currently own a bolt action 22LR rifle or a semi like a Ruger 10/22 with a scope with magnification from 8X to about 16X that has some sort of graduations on the reticle (MOA or MILS) you are good to go. A quickly detachable bipod is also pretty much required. You do need to have the rifle sighted in at a given distance - a 50 yard zero is most common. If you have a variable power SFP scope, you must leave it on the magnification that you have set as your zero - 10X would be good. This is not required for FFP scopes.

CZ, Ruger and other well known names make detachable mag 22LR bolt rifles that are used and competitive, and several companies target this market specifically (like RimX and VooDoo) with very nice rifles. Semi-autos seem to be virtually all Ruger 10/22's. Scopes purchased specifically for this discipline should be FFP (First Focal Plane) with a magnification range from about 8X to at least 16X (some may recommend lower than 8X). Typical 22 PRS scopes are 6-24X FFP, and there are many brands that make good to superlative scopes, depending on the money you are willing to spend. This is a precision shooting sport, so rifles that are more accurate have the ability to garner higher scores, but benchrest level precision is NOT required.

I shoot a Ruger 10/22 with a Kidd SS match barrel and a Kidd 2-stage trigger pillar/epoxy bedded into a laminated stock with an Athlon HELOS 8-34X scope. I've been beaten by guys with off-the-shelf 10/22's. I'll also be trying out an old Remington 541-T rifle with a few 10-round mags. Both are more than adequate.

There is a bunch of ancillary equipment that is typically used such as bags of various sorts, ballistics software, extra mags, scope levels, Arca rails etc.etc., but purchase of these items shouldn't be done until after at least some experience is acquired.

Again, I would strongly recommend that anyone interested in this sport attend a rimfire PRS match, and preferably "bring what you got" and try shooting.
    This is really helpful, thanks! What is the best way to find PRS matches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom