• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Like @KRC mentions, if I was going to do it again, I wouldn't choose the 224V for a new build.

I have used most of my 224V stash, so I have been thinking of converting my bolt gun to either 22 ARC or 22 Creedmoor. These are the new hotness in the 224 bullet space. I have one friend building a 22 ARC bolt gun with a bartlein 6.7 twist for the longer bullets.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Like @KRC mentions, if I was going to do it again, I wouldn't choose the 224V for a new build.

I have used most of my 224V stash, so I have been thinking of converting my bolt gun to either 22 ARC or 22 Creedmoor. These are the new hotness in the 224 bullet space. I have one friend building a 22 ARC bolt gun with a bartlein 6.7 twist for the longer bullets.
    If you go .22 creedmoor, hit me up. There's still some 6 creed brass sitting on my shelf I think. Easy neck down. No dicking around with the mags.

In a boltgun, all of the cases work but, if I do a hot .224 that isn't my trusty 22-250AI, I'll be doing .22br or .22 dasher.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Wow $1.68 per round to reload. New factory ammo is cheaper. I am having 2nd thoughts about this rifle!
    I tend to agree about the round, Its a lot easier to stick with common loads but It sounds like its a win for the price even if you sell the barrel or full upper and build it into something else.

What are your numbers?

.224 Valkyrie
    Brass
    $0.46​
    bullet
    $0.96​
    Primer
    $0.11​
    Powder
    $0.15​
    Total
    $1.68​
    That's a mighty pricey projectile you chose.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Doesn't matter anymore I told him never mind. It was a good deal and all but when I factor in all the reloading crap I will need it's easy $1000.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    That's a mighty pricey projectile you chose.

That's better - I was looking at the 90 grain.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Your brass cost will amortize across multiple reloadings, and unless you push the envelope, Starline cases will give good life. As you know, primers, powder and bullets are more expensive than they used to be, but not much more, and sometimes less, than for other rounds. (I just paid $270 with tax and delivery for 500 6mm 105gr. Berger Hybrids.) The advantage is to produce ammo that is tuned to your specific rifle, and should be far superior to commercial ammo with respect to precision. FYI - 90gr. Sierra SMK's can have intermittent availability.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    1000044330.jpg

Not terrible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88