• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I'm looking at the Hornady, Armscor, Winchester and Remington 223, FMJ-BT 55 grain bullets for reloading plinking rounds. Do I need to crimp the rounds that I load with these bullets? I'm going to be feeding them with 30 round mags.

Does anyone know where to get he Hornady 223 FMJBT 55 grain bullets. They seem to be a hot commodity. I found one place that is selling them in a 6000 round batch but that a big layout for getting started.

Does anyone know if hte Hornady 223 FMJBT 55 grain bullets are lead core? Are all the above mentioned bullets lead core bullets?

Thanks!
    Eric

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Powdervalleyinc.com has the Hornady 55gr FMJBT w/c's in stock in 100, 500, and 2000 batches. Just ordered 2000 myself for $180. They're lead core with cannelure. Whether you crimp them or not is up to you. Some do, some dont. It's really personal preference. Personally, I'll be lightly crimping with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I'll also be using a Hornady die set and Hogdon H335 powder.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I'm looking at the Hornady, Armscor, Winchester and Remington 223, FMJ-BT 55 grain bullets for reloading plinking rounds. Do I need to crimp the rounds that I load with these bullets? I'm going to be feeding them with 30 round mags.

Does anyone know where to get he Hornady 223 FMJBT 55 grain bullets. They seem to be a hot commodity. I found one place that is selling them in a 6000 round batch but that a big layout for getting started.

Does anyone know if hte Hornady 223 FMJBT 55 grain bullets are lead core? Are all the above mentioned bullets lead core bullets?

Thanks!
    Eric

Its really not the bullet design that determines if a crimp is warranted, but rather your die. Some dies will size the neck of the brass enough that a crimp is not needed - some dont. Alot also depends on the firearm.

If in doubt test. You can do a couple of tests. Since you are loading for an AR, make 2 dummy rounds. Do 2 since most m4s have mutliple feed ramps, for the double stack mag which feeds at different angles. Your dummy round should have no primer or powder in it. Seat a bullet in a full sized case to the COL you need, and measure both rounds.Do not crimp your dummy rounds. You can take a marker and write the measurements on the side of the dummy round. Insert both dummy rounds into the magazine, dont single feed it into your AR. Chamber & eject both rounds, and let the bolt slam shut under its own spring weight (dont ride the bolt/charging handle with your hand) Remeasure your dummy rounds. You want to make sure that it both, does NOT get seated deeper from impacting the feeds ramps, and does NOT telescope (get seated longer) from inertia spring force.

If your overall length did indeed change, then a crimp is warranted. If not, then you could forgo the crimp.

You can also do a table top test. Take your dummy round and push the nose of the bullet on hard surface like a table. If you can push the bullet deeper into the case, then a crimp may be needed.

My personal rule of thumb, is crimp only when needed. IMHO crimps degrade accuracy.

Last edited:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    In the OP choice of bullets - the Remington & Winchester bullets seem to have issue with inconsistent cannelures. Ive been using the Hornady FMJ, & all the cannelures are in the exact same place for all the bullets in the packs. They are priced right as well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pretty much all seating dies will crimp.

The need for crimp is dependent on the neck tension and the use. I crimp my .223 and gas gun .308 rounds to make sure they don't back out or get shoved into the case from recoil in the mag.

I may have some Hornady 55 gr cannalured bullets for sale around Xmas.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    In the OP choice of bullets - the Remington & Winchester bullets seem to have issue with inconsistent cannelures. Ive been using the Hornady FMJ, & all the cannelures are in the exact same place for all the bullets in the packs. They are priced right as well.

As usual, I agree with DCR. Along with inconsistent cannelures, they also have varying weights and lengths.

I've been using Hornady 55gr FMJs in my plinking rounds for years. I developed a load that feeds reliably and is accurate in my ARs. They do not include a crimp.

And at < $0.09 a bullet, you really can't beat them.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom