• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    uGbYc48.jpg

Last Sunday, I invited a fellow-MDS'er to come shoot MPC's monthly .22 silhouette match (aka Critters) with me here in Frederick. I'd been wanting to try it for a while, even though my set-up isn't exactly the greatest for standing, unsupported shooting.

pM5jMaw.jpg

84pZjtO.jpg

Some perspective with help from my lovely assistant: they're 1/5th scale steel silhouette targets engaged from a standing, unsupported shooting position at 15 meters (chickens), 20 meters (pigs), 30 meters (turkeys), and 40 meters (rams). Ten targets each. You get 4 minutes and ten rounds to shoot all 10 targets off the rack. Floppers are a 5 second penalty.

AUNi0pE.jpg

The day before the match, I went out to the range and took a few practice shots to see if I could even hit them with my Anschutz 1710. I had previously only been shooting off a bench and a bipod since it's mainly set-up for long range hunting and plinking. I didn't have any problems with my zero but, oh man, it is one heavy beast to hold steady for 10 consecutive shots at those little targets.

451uw5i.jpg

OTOH, Cowpokey's Anschutz 1712 was much better suited, and his scores reflected that. I did OK for my very first Critters Match but, clearly, this match is best shot with a lightweight carbine and a lower powered optic. Fun as heck, though! There were a few 10/22's, a CZ 457 Scout (with iron sights!) and a couple of Savages in addition to our Anschutz's. Heat was brutal. By the third relay, I felt like I was melting and sat-out the 4th relay to cool-off.

FoYpXe3.jpg

ubJ5W1d.jpg

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Nice write-up and pix. Although Frederick is a bit (lot) far for me, I have shot Silhouette at the Delmarva (DSA) range in MD over the winter and had a blast. (They don't run matches during the summer due to other range uses.) This is another 22LR discipline that requires little to no special equipment to go out and have a lot of fun (and be challenged).

Any other Silhouette matches currently being run in MD?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks!

About the only time I ever shoot standing, unsupported is when I'm hunting, and it has been close to 5 years since I've hunted anything other than the bullseye center of a paper target.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I shot this match once years back using my TC Contender pistol. They let me. Realized I hadn’t check the sight setting but wasn’t an issue. Did alright in it.

Silhouette is a fun game.

DAVIDMAGNUM

Oct 19, 2007
    Federalsburg
    Nice write-up and pix. Although Frederick is a bit (lot) far for me, I have shot Silhouette at the Delmarva (DSA) range in MD over the winter and had a blast. (They don't run matches during the summer due to other range uses.) This is another 22LR discipline that requires little to no special equipment to go out and have a lot of fun (and be challenged).

Any other Silhouette matches currently being run in MD?
    Being in Cecil County you are close to Atglen. They shoot several types of silhouette matches there. Great folks and range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom