• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeMartin

Aug 15, 2022
    Mt Airy MD
    When I bought my first Savage 1919 NRA Match Rifle, 10-15 years ago, I went online to see if I could find some entry level competition an old fat guy, me, could have fun in. I found a course that was, off the shelf rifle, no bull barrel, no thumb hole stocks, no aftermarket set triggers, max rifle weight 7 pounds, not including sling. Optics were allowed, but still the 7 pound weight limit, and a different class from irons. At that time I believe Thurmont sponsored that event. Since then, I haven't been able to find that event anywhere? It was a beginners level course. For those that are not familiar with the 1919, 1923, and 19-33 NRA Match Rifles, they were over the counter beginners rifles. All the "NRA Match Rifle" stood for, was they were legal for all NRA matches. They were not high dollar customs. Although I believe the US Olympic team won the Gold in 1920 with Model 1919's.

So, does anyone know what protocol that was? Does it still exist? I now have 4 NRA's and a Stevens 414 Armory Single Shot. I have the time and would like to see how I could hold up in competition?

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    When I bought my first Savage 1919 NRA Match Rifle, 10-15 years ago, I went online to see if I could find some entry level competition an old fat guy, me, could have fun in. I found a course that was, off the shelf rifle, no bull barrel, no thumb hole stocks, no aftermarket set triggers, max rifle weight 7 pounds, not including sling. Optics were allowed, but still the 7 pound weight limit, and a different class from irons. At that time I believe Thurmont sponsored that event. Since then, I haven't been able to find that event anywhere? It was a beginners level course. For those that are not familiar with the 1919, 1923, and 19-33 NRA Match Rifles, they were over the counter beginners rifles. All the "NRA Match Rifle" stood for, was they were legal for all NRA matches. They were not high dollar customs. Although I believe the US Olympic team won the Gold in 1920 with Model 1919's.

So, does anyone know what protocol that was? Does it still exist? I now have 4 NRA's and a Stevens 414 Armory Single Shot. I have the time and would like to see how I could hold up in competition?
    You are probably referring to the CMP Rimfire Sporter Match competitions. Sanners Lake S/C in southern Maryland still has shoots but the last one for the season is next week.

JoeMartin

Aug 15, 2022
    Mt Airy MD
    Just looked up the CMP RSM. Sounds like that may have been the protocol I saw a few years back. Some things sound a little different, but that may be my memory or things may have evolved a little. I've had both knees replace which makes sitting and kneeling positions hard, but probably doable. Then, do my Military looking 22's qualify as a sporting rifle?

I was hoping to use one of these?
    B7h6xnO.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom