• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmc1968

Pronouns: Bro / Brah/ Bruh
    Jan 22, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Howdy folks,
    Long time since my last post. I was just going through my cyclic cleaning/inspecting of my rifles and noticed the old Tasco scope on Marlin 782 .22 WMR was cracked. Any recommendations on a nice, good yet not expensive scope that has the 22 micro grove rings? Love this rifle, it was the first one I ever bought back in the early 80's. Thanks in advance

Semper Fi

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    Not sure how to post a link but Midway USA has a Vortex 3-9 x40 on half price for a 100 bucks. It doesn’t come with rings but Midway has Burris (and other rings) for around $25. I bought one of these because of the deal but haven’t put it on anything yet to try it. But I do have around 15 or 16 other Vortex scopes and 3 Red Dots (a couple expensive scopes but most “mid priced”) and I am happy with all of them. I haven’t had to use it but Vortex has a lifetime warranty too. See info below:

Vortex Optics Vanquish Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Dead-Hold BDC Reticle Matte

Product #: 363383 Manufacturer #: VNQ-30901 UPC #: 843829116411
    57 ReviewsWrite a ReviewQ&A (28)
    Alternate Image 1
    Alternate Image 2
    Alternate Image 3
    Alternate Image 4
    Alternate Image 5
    Alternate Image 6

Vortex Optics Vanquish Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Dead-Hold BDC Reticle Matteenlarge arrowmagnifying glass
    Our Price:
    $199.99$99.99
    You Save:
    $100.00 (50%)
    SHIPS FREE
    Available
    One Time Offer
    Ships tomorrow from MidwayUSA

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Howdy folks,
    Long time since my last post. I was just going through my cyclic cleaning/inspecting of my rifles and noticed the old Tasco scope on Marlin 782 .22 WMR was cracked. Any recommendations on a nice, good yet not expensive scope that has the 22 micro grove rings? Love this rifle, it was the first one I ever bought back in the early 80's. Thanks in advance

Semper Fi
    The "Micro-Groove" terminology used by Marlin refers to the rifling in the bore. Rather than having 6 deep grooves, there are a larger number of more shallow grooves. The idea is that shallow grooves will deform the bullet less and enhance accuracy.

Your scope will mount using standard .22 'tip-off' mounts for grooved receivers, available from multiple manufacturers. You would select rings to provide correct height and to match your scope tube diameter. You can likely reuse the rings you have.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Attachments

• A92BA1BE-73E6-48C2-923C-E0ED90A8A4DA.jpeg
      A92BA1BE-73E6-48C2-923C-E0ED90A8A4DA.jpeg
      20.4 KB · Views: 181

Usmc1968

Jan 22, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations!!A friend gave me his old BSA TW4X30 and I got some 1" rimfire rings from Wallyworld. I attached a picture, kind of updates this old workhorse :-). Anyhoo now time to sight it in!

Semper Fi

Attachments

• IMG_3665.jpg
      IMG_3665.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 137
    Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    https://www.amazon.com/RWS-Lock-Down-Scope-Mount/dp/B0028M0YTU/
    Whatever scope you go with, I have this RWS airgun mount on my marlin 795 and it's been rock steady for years. I do like those microgroove barrels. With wolf match, the 795 shoots right around an inch at 100 yds. Not bad for a rifle I got for $150 or something like that. This is at 100 yds.

Attachments

• 795.jpg
      795.jpg
      17.8 KB · Views: 119
    • 795 at 100 yds wolf match.jpg
      795 at 100 yds wolf match.jpg
      69.1 KB · Views: 120

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations!!A friend gave me his old BSA TW4X30 and I got some 1" rimfire rings from Wallyworld. I attached a picture, kind of updates this old workhorse :-). Anyhoo now time to sight it in!

Nice rifle and the price is right on that scope too. Hopefully it works out well for you getting it sighted in and set up.

Its funny I have a BSA "Sweet 22" scope on order (back order) for my old Marlin 99M1. The old Tasco that was on it when I bought it was pretty rough so I figured I would try to find a inexpensive upgrade that would look okay on the rifle. I don't have any experience with BSA scopes but thought I would give it a shot because the size of the "Sweet 22" scope seemed to be in good scale to that little 99M1. Hopefully it shows soon it's been on back order at Optics Planet for a couple months now...

Usmc1968

Jan 22, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Nice grouping smokey 0118! Thanks all, yeah I love this rifle, I think I paid like $150 or so back in the early 80's at BEST products over by the old Montgomery mall; same place I bought my Ruger M77 and many other rifles/shotguns I still have. I need to re-attach the original leather sling.
    As Magnumite stated pricing is getting crazy! I was looking online and some are going North of $400 if they have the original JM (Pre-Remington) stamp on the barrel. Both this .22 Mag and my Marlin 336 .30-30 lever action have these stamps.

Semper Fi

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …Its funny I have a BSA "Sweet 22" scope … it's been on back order at Optics Planet for a couple months now.

See attached for all the places where the BSA “Sweet 22” is in stock and ready to ship, right now today

Man, it pains me to see fellow shooters unawares and continuing having the wool pulled over their eyes by OpticsPlanet …:mad54: I read all the negative reports but didn’t understand how evil their sheer incompetence is until OpticsPlanet completely screwed up a birthday surprise (LCR laser grips) which I had ordered SIX MONTHS IN ADVANCE … to me, there is NOTHING FUNNY about OpticsPlanet dysfunction as a company and if I didn’t know better I’d swear they were really ghost owned by $oro$ or BloomTurd, in an effort to discourage shooters toward … I don’t know … watching profe$$ional $ports or golf …

That’s when a fellow shooter showed me the trick of using Gun.Deals.com and WikiArms.com to do cross country stock searches …

Your choice but consider CANCELLING YOUR OpticShenanigans Order this morning (Tip: do it by phone and request a confirmation email!) and then order from one of these standup vendors (I send a LOT of my business to BattleHawk Armory):

Search results for "bsa "sweet 22": https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/631618114515

Also: https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/bsa "sweet 22"

Attachments

• E46C8547-0FC5-4E2A-999D-668B5378BC4B.jpg
      E46C8547-0FC5-4E2A-999D-668B5378BC4B.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 82
    • EDA75728-AE8B-4250-91D5-D7EA346BB6AC.jpg
      EDA75728-AE8B-4250-91D5-D7EA346BB6AC.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 79

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    Slsc98 I hear what you’re saying about Optics Planet. Definitely a mixed bag with them I’ve done pretty well on some deals but like you had some problems with them getting things shipped in a timely order. I usually stick with Euro Optic (who I find consistently excellent) or Midway for optics but this time gave optics planet a shot because they had the scope pretty cheap. This gun is not a high priority but agree with your advice and at this point (couple months waiting) will probably cancel and find it some place else. Also thanks for the tip on how to do a “in stock search”.

Also note I don’t find the situation with optics planet funny (actually it’s quite irritating) I meant it was a “funny coincidence” that Usmc1968 ended up wit a BSA scope and I while having no experience with BSA had one on order. Again thanks for the heads up on other options to order the scope.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z