• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I plan on shooting my Mark II and 10/22 more regularly.

I have yet to see a video or discussion leading me to believe that there is any reliable expansion or benefit to HP in .22LR.

Yet seemingly, more than half of available choices deploy a HP of some kind that turns already finicky semi-autos into jam-o-matics.

I’ve always used a copper coated round nose.

What am I missing?
    RFB,

I can attest personally to the results of a 22LR Hollow Point.

A lady friend of mine is a gunshots survivor of being shot point blank by her former husband.
    To cut to the chase, he put something like 5-6 rounds in her, some in face, the rest in torso. From the time she called 911 to the time Dr Scalia had her at Shock Trauma, they put 130 units of blood in her before they got the bleeding under control.

Her husband turned a 9mm on himself and expired at the scene before first responders arrived.

Edit, Maybe 10-12 years ago, I remember her complaining of a tooth ache. She told me she went to the dentist and he told her nothing was wrong, no cavities etc. He said possibly her bullet fragments in her cheek area may be causing the pains.

I saw her doctor xrays of the pieces of bullet fragments the docs left in there. it was as if broken glass was inside her face bones.
    My guess was these were too dangerously close to brain stuff to have been removed at the time of her incident.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Older Aguilla Subsonic Hollow Point is the best shooter in my target .22. Groups at 100 yards as posted by noahhh or less. If anyone happens to have some sitting around that is close to the same batch number I'll trade even up for your choice of Tenex

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm with you on that. Have to match the round to the purpose. HPs have no advantage for shooting paper and would be a PITA if not feeding in a given gun.

I'm using a Ruger American Rimfire bolt gun most of the time that I am hunting small game and keep my ammo consistent to avoid having to re-sight in.

Found this nice vid comparing .22LR HP expansion for this purpose:

Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom