• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Sounds like a terrible new caliber...

Winch's thread about his daughter's first handgun got me thinking. She's getting a .22 revolver. I've fired a lot of .22 over the years and I've seen a lot of bulk garbage. I won't use golden bullets due to failures to fire. That said, even in the crappiest, cheap rimfire I don't think I've ever seen a rimfire actually hangfire. Has anyone here experienced one?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I do a bunch of youth shoots as well as Boy Scout shoots. Thousands of rounds can be used at one shoot. I have been doing these for almost 10 years. Lots of FTF, but never have I experienced a hang fire. We do, however teach the kids the proper technique in case of a click and no bang. The FTF is usually the cheap ass ammo, but sometimes the bolt needs to be cleaned.
    I have given away bricks of thunderclap and won't use them at the shoots unless absolutely necessary.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've seen tons and tons of light strikes or failures to ignite, lots of squibs in various calibers, including rimfire. Never in my life have seen a hangfire.

Not saying it won't happen, but I think it's a relic of older ammunition.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Can’t seem to remember ever having a hang fire with a rim fire. Lots to failures to fire over the years.
    I have had a bunch of hang fires with surplus military ammunition. I can remember years ago when 8mm Mauser ammo was dirt cheap, and being imported from all over, having a lot of hang fires and failures to fire. Shooting it in the Hakim rifle, you got real good at clearing malfunctions.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    cheap pre WW2 ammo was occasionally loaded with cordite, and it was suceptable to hangfire, could happen if powder degraded or water got in the case too. Not really an issue with the modern flake powder it's usually loaded with, that is usually a dud, and occasionally a squib. Had a box of 22 with a few hangfires many years ago, was really old ammmo, but the majority of hangfires are in cheap surplus, especially 303 british, yup loaded with cordite.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    A student of mine told me she experienced a squib in a .22 revolver. She felt a “pinch,” thinking she had somehow made contact with the hammer and noticed blood running off the top of her hand. Then she saw little pieces of shrapnel and from the cartridge and realized what had happened.

.22 is sneaky like that. Low recoil and low noise makes detecting squibs very hard.

That said, I too have never experienced a hangfire with rimfire or centerfire cartridges or has anyone told me they have.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Never had a hangfire on anything cartridge-wise. Black powder stuff, absolutely...but never with even the most garbage of Winchester bulk 22. Only squib I ever had was from a very old 32ACP.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A student of mine told me she experienced a squib in a .22 revolver. She felt a “pinch,” thinking she had somehow made contact with the hammer and noticed blood running off the top of her hand. Then she saw little pieces of shrapnel and from the cartridge and realized what had happened.

.22 is sneaky like that. Low recoil and low noise makes detecting squibs very hard.

That said, I too have never experienced a hangfire with rimfire or centerfire cartridges or has anyone told me they have.
    I spent years pulling powder out of my trigger finger after shooting some really old .22 WMR in a Ruger Single Six. Back of the casing blew off.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I think (not sure, it was a few years ago) I was having an odd hang fire thing happening with a Ruger 10/22. I gave it a good cleaning and made sure to keep the firing pin channel dry and it didn't happen again.

easy

Nov 25, 2011
    SEOK
    I had one - one - more than 40 years ago. Ruger 10/22, not the guns fault. Pulled trigger, nothing, about three seconds later -BANG. One single round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Asdfg12345

Latest threads

Top Bottom