• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sorry, I also misread your post.

Not sure why putting in a rear sight dovetail would be that difficult.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    For open bolts year, but for a closed bolt you have to time it correctly, no? Would a full auto only m16 FCG be more or less complicated than a semi?

Yes for some closed bolt they can be more complicated like in the AR15. However for sub caliber guns not requiring a locking bolt, why do closed bolt. Also the timing issue is not as important when using a non-locking system. The main issue is that cycle rate on these guns goes through the roof.

However none of these are transferable so I am usually not overly interested as I will never get to play with one.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Going off topic, there are full auto 1911s in the transferable registry. People have made EVERYTHING full auto.

A FA only closed-bolt M16 could do away the semi disconnector and hook on the hammer. FA requires the trip sear so tossup. Both would have the same part count. A FA trip is a pretty darn simple thing (witness a DIAS) compared to the precision notch on the semi-disconnector & hammer. If you built the trigger group as FA (vs just removing semi parts) it would be simpler to manufacture for sure.

An HK pack would be similarly simplified. The FA trip is just a simple arm that detects when the bolt is almost completely in battery. Just like a M16.

Edit: 'timing' is a bolt bounce issue not really a sear/trip issue. Both M15 and HK trip the sear when the bolt is 99% into battery. Its the recoil springs job to keep the bolt bounce controlled (or at least get it BACK into full battery) before the hammer gets there. The 'hammer retiming' you hear on FA HK packs is due to the fact they moved the sear pin location to make ATF happy in a pack that can be used in a semi-auto gun w/ the denial shelf. The hammer thus sits on the notch too high w/ the new location. The retiming involves welding and cutting a new notch in the hammer so that the hammer sit in the same (moved) sear at the old angle. Like 'timing' cams in an engine its changing the angle. Holding the hammer farther back at the original angle also slows the cyclic rate back down to same as before since it has to travel a little farther before hitting the firing pin.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Yes for some closed bolt they can be more complicated like in the AR15. However for sub caliber guns not requiring a locking bolt, why do closed bolt. Also the timing issue is not as important when using a non-locking system. The main issue is that cycle rate on these guns goes through the roof.

However none of these are transferable so I am usually not overly interested as I will never get to play with one.

Why do a closed bolt? The same reason the mp5, the best subgun is closed bolt. Accurate first shot.

Not an expert on the micro Uzi but I was under the impression that the closed bolt micro has a much faster rate of fire than the open bolt.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Why do a closed bolt? The same reason the mp5, the best subgun is closed bolt. Accurate first shot...

I would argue the MP5 is the best of the transferable SMGs not because of first shot accuracy but because the delayed blowback makes for an extremely easy to handle gun after the first shot. Frankly first shot accuracy means little to me.

However the whole point of this being that a FA version of a normally semi auto firearm is nothing more than changing a few things in almost all cases. Now to get a good shooting FA gun out of a semi design is another story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom