• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    As in years past, I will again be participating in the Polar Bear Plunge to benefit Special Olympics Maryland. This would be my 25th year for the Chesapeake Bear Plunge.

I have not yet decided on what I will do for the virtual plunge and welcome your suggestions.

If you would like to make a donation, please use the link below:

https://support.somd.org/fundraiser/3080319

Thanks again for your support!

Attachments

• somd_plunge_logo.png
      somd_plunge_logo.png
      18.8 KB · Views: 303

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    Trying to envision how one plunges virtually.

Maybe you'll just say you took a cold shower?

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    Fill large container, like a galvanized 30 gallon animal waterer from tractor supply, with water and generous amounts of ice cubes. Add maybe 10 pounds of apples. Set a one minute timer. Commence your bobbing for apples polar plunge. How many apples can you bite and fling out in that one minute?

Maybe have some people commit to donate based on how many apples you manage to bite and chuck out of the container. It would be even better if another contestant I was kneeling next to you and it was a sort of contest between the two of you. But even solo it would make a fun video.

Bonus: explain to your wife the only time tested method of recovering from hypothermia…

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Fill large container, like a galvanized 30 gallon animal waterer from tractor supply, with water and generous amounts of ice cubes. Add maybe 10 pounds of apples. Set a one minute timer. Commence your bobbing for apples polar plunge. How many apples can you bite and fling out in that one minute?

Maybe have some people commit to donate based on how many apples you manage to bite and chuck out of the container. It would be even better if another contestant I was kneeling next to you and it was a sort of contest between the two of you. But even solo it would make a fun video.

Bonus: explain to your wife the only time tested method of recovering from hypothermia…

I like this idea!

I donate to the special Olympics every year. I just failed to see how the plunge can be done virtually.

I just find the whole idea of a virtual polar Bear plunge ridiculous. To me it seems as silly as the virtual holiday party that my girlfriend's company is holding online.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I donate to the special Olympics every year. I just failed to see how the plunge can be done virtually.

I just find the whole idea of a virtual polar Bear plunge ridiculous. To me it seems as silly as the virtual holiday party that my girlfriend's company is holding online.

Many of us will just be doing some sort of water event. Many of the folks I know are just going to take videos of themselves in the shower.

I am still working on what I am going to do.

I will miss the fact that I will not get to do all three events this year due to COVID-19: St Mary's Splash (December), Chesapeake Bay Plunge (January) and the Deep Creek Dunk (February).

Many of us will just be doing some sort of water event. Many of the folks I know are just going to take videos of themselves in the shower.

I am still working on what I am going to do.

I will miss the fact that I will not get to do all three events this year due to COVID-19: St Mary's Splash (December), Chesapeake Bay Plunge (January) and the Deep Creek Dunk (February).

Then it's not really virtual. It's just an individual change of venue. You're still going to get into water presumably ice cold. You could always go down to one of the local state parks and jump off the pier into whatever body of water they have. I don't know where you're located but you can go down to Wilson point Park and jump into the middle River from the boat ramp. I believe the current water temperature down there right now is in the low to mid 40s. I think that would do nicely

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Whatever you choose do do Michael, please take someone else with you CAPABLE of pulling yer butt out of the water, in case you have an unexpected issue after plunging into it.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Safety: another reason to go the ice water apple bobbing route. Mega brain freeze, worst that can happen.

A long time ago in Germany during the winter when we were on maneuvers, I decided to wash my head/hair under the spigot of our water buffalo. Because I was absolutely filthy. Ice cold water; completely soaked, washed and rinsed my head. Had a SPLITTING, debilitating headache shortly thereafter. NEVER again.... :nono:

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    Wayback when I had a contest with some friends, we had three minutes to Bob for apples and wicked cold ice water, whoever got the most apples won that half of the contest. The other half of the contest was getting progressively hotter hot peppers until we were chewing on ghost peppers or whatever they were. Some of things I did for fun then sound like straight hell now. I must be maturing like a fine wine.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It might be fun for Patty to just squirt you with a hose out in the driveway or standing in a kiddie pool :shrug:

What's the cut off date for donations? It would be a little easier to put it on the next billing cycle :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom