• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Fess up. Who did it?

DARNESTOWN, Md. — Two people were rushed to the hospital and a third person was evaluated after an explosion at a home in Darnestown on Tuesday evening, Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service said. The explosion is said to have been caused by someone either manufacturing or modifying fireworks ahead of the Fourth of July holiday.

At 5:15 p.m., firefighters were called to the home located in the 14200 block of Cervantes Avenue for the report of smoke seen coming from the home.
    At the scene, firefighters noticed smoke coming from the home and garage. They also found damage as a result of an explosion.
    Investigators say most of the damage was found in the garage, but the cars in the driveway were also damaged and some windows were blown out. Officials say the damage was extensive enough to condemn the home.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    How stupid do you have to be to do this in your garage? Do they not know how to get just over the Pennsylvania state line?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    We had a 2" mortar explode in the tube Tuesday evening. That definitely had a bit of a pucker factor.
    We had the base of the mortar tube come off, and the firework popped at about 20' off the ground instead of 100'+ where it was supposed to.

The one in the OP I read that after fireworks they pulled the boxes inside, and apparently one had not gone off and did so in the garage. That's why we always leave ours out overnight and clean up in the morning (well, one of the reasons).

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The one in the OP I read that after fireworks they pulled the boxes inside, and apparently one had not gone off and did so in the garage. That's why we always leave ours out overnight and clean up in the morning (well, one of the reasons).
    That makes a little more sense than the story I read. The one I saw implied they had thrown the spent tubes in with live, unfired stuff and something was hot enough to cause a fire to start.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    Fireworks are seriously sketchy. There was a memorial plaque at one of my duty stations dedicated to three EOD techs who were killed by "commercial" fireworks in one incident in the '80s. Our official guidance from DA was that we were not allowed to respond to calls for fireworks. We would help the local law enforcement agencies whenever we could though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom