• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    The post 64 had the aluminum hand stop. It could be original though, there's discrepancies in the books.
    There are variations and the more you learn about the 70's the more you find there are variations to the rules.

Some of the different type 70's were, just speaking very basically...

National Match, was a standard type rifle with sights in a target stock
    Target, target stock and heavy barrel, provisions for a front sight( drilled & tapped or a dovetail cut) 30-06 standard but could order other calibers.
    Bull Gun, target stock and extra heavy 28" barrel, provisions for a front sight 30-06 or 300H&H
    Varmint, Standard sporter type stock with a heavy 26" barrel, can't remember but I think D&T for front sight no screw in the forearm, 220 swift & 243. You'll see other calibers but if they have the screw under the forearm, they're not true Varmint, they would have been special ordered standards.
    Standard rifle
    "prewar Carbine", rare, standard rifle with a 20" barrel.
    Featherweight, 22" barrel without the sight lump and a step on the barrel at the receiver end.
    Throughout all the years they made Super Grades as well.
    Then there were prewar that had the cloverleaf tang and a different safety
    Postwar had a tang "spade" and the three position safety on the side that staid unchanged forever, they began drill and tapping the receiver bridge for rear scope mounts.
    Around 1946-1948 there was a Transition period where some guns had both prewar and postwar characteristics. They didn't start tapping the rear bridge on the H&H magnums till almost 1950. I have one of the last ones that will be for sale next week at the MD Antique Arms Show. Some have stainless steel barrels, the 220 and 264 with two type finishes, matte or a smokey satin blue. They "sprayed" iron oxide on the stainless steel then blued it or something like that, they left the crown white because it would chip off.
    Actually I have some old magazines with model 70 articles I'd like to give to someone who's interested in pre64 70's (PM me) if you're coming to the show.

Last edited:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Great find Brad, those Pre 64 Model 70's are great rifles and a joy to shoot. At the time the National Match was considered the top of the line factory target rifle, not unusual to find them with replaced barrels as top shooters either wore the barrel out or replaced chasing more accuracy.
    Your rifle has blocks for a Unertl scope and your rifle would look great with one on it, I have a 1956 Varmint with the Unertl and it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

IMG_4594.jpeg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nice rifles,
    Does the varmint have a clip loading slot as manufactured?
    It looks like there some drastic differences in the stocks between the examples as well.
    Looks dont do much for me as far as scopes are concerned but to each his own.
    The images the op provided looks like a more functional set for shooting from position with Irons/intended purposes as a match rifle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Great find Brad, those Pre 64 Model 70's are great rifles and a joy to shoot. At the time the National Match was considered the top of the line factory target rifle, not unusual to find them with replaced barrels as top shooters either wore the barrel out or replaced chasing more accuracy.
    Your rifle has blocks for a Unertl scope and your rifle would look great with one on it, I have a 1956 Varmint with the Unertl and it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

View attachment 405475
    That is pretty!

I had the thought of scoping it with a period correct, and I may be tempted if I find a Unertl - but for now, I’m perfectly content to leave it as is and see how I can do with the Redfields (as it’s something new to me, thus a challenge :)).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Pre64, I’ll see if I can attend, always appreciative of being able to learn new things.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That is pretty!

I had the thought of scoping it with a period correct, and I may be tempted if I find a Unertl - but for now, I’m perfectly content to leave it as is and see how I can do with the Redfields (as it’s something new to me, thus a challenge :)).
    Good choice I think till you familiarize yourself with that rifle and its characteristics.
    Shooting from a bench or rested position with a scope is fun and a beautiful experience no doubt.
    But you take it off the bench and cant get a group is the real challenge with some hardware like for what you picked up.
    You have a good start to say the least. Have fun!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Good choice I think till you familiarize yourself with that rifle and its characteristics.
    Shooting from a bench or rested position with a scope is fun and a beautiful experience no doubt.
    But you take it off the bench and cant get a group is the real challenge with some hardware like for what you picked up.
    You have a good start to say the least. Have fun!

Oh Hell yes! A good choice for sure! It's a chance to experience some of the very best of the sighting equipment of yesteryear, and mounted on a rifle that was destined to gain historically iconic status. Most folks nowadays will never get anywhere near to having that opportunity. For the vast majority today, that opportunity in practical terms is forever lost.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Being left eye dominant, therefore shooting southpaw on rifles, adds another layer of challenge - just makes it more interesting and fun!

So far 3-4” gongs at 200 have been pretty easy thru the redfields, I haven’t touched/adjusted them, interested to see how it prints on paper and go from there. Working up an 06 load is definitely in the cards too.

When I first put eyes/hands on this rifle, I didn’t know what it was, but it spoke to me - told the ffl I was assisting - “don’t care what it costs, it’s mine”

This is also my 1st rifle in ‘06, having fun has gone without saying!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    That is pretty!

Redfields are great sights and you really don't leave anything on the table using them, made Expert decades ago with Redfields and still have a couple vintage match rifles with them on it. I don't see as well now so the scopes are a better fit for me at this time but I still take some of my rifles with aperture sights out and do well.
    I bet you will do well with the Redfields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom