• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Stumbled across a nice, numbers matching, 1943 US Navy S&W Victory and I just couldn't help myself.

After the US Property marked S&W Victory in .38 S&W I bought yesterday I should have stopped looking.....

But I didn't and came across this U.S. Navy one in .38 SPL that comes with a nice "correct" holster.

It will be at my FFL next week .... SMH

Here is a link to an interesting article on the from the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine: https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/v-is-for-victory-the-smith-wesson-victory-model-revolver/

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 4.27.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 4.28.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 4.28.25 AM.png

Last edited:

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Also very nice. A great link to the past. I wonder what stories it could tell? Congrats.

A Federal FFL-03 C&R License would allow old guns like these to be shipped direct to your door - just saying.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Also very nice. A great link to the past. I wonder what stories it could tell? Congrats.

A Federal FFL-03 C&R License would allow old guns like these to be shipped direct to your door - just saying.
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

I have a C&R license and have a collectors license but it was my understanding that since we are in Maryland, you still had to fill out he MSP application, go through a FFL and wait your seven days for handguns.

I have used my C&R for long guns, but never handguns.

Like I said, that is just my understanding and I have been wrong before and I am always willing to learn.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I attached a letter from 2004 that was written by Joseph Curran (then Maryland's AG) that states that Maryland law imposes no restrictions on direct import by a Federal C&R license holder for eligible guns coming from out of state.
    A weapon bought in the state would require the standard paperwork, background check and 7 day wait.

Attachments

• 01C&R letter interstate(3).pdf
      203.6 KB · Views: 76

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I attached a letter from 2004 that was written by Joseph Curran (then Maryland's AG) that states that Maryland law imposes no restrictions on direct import by a Federal C&R license holder for eligible guns coming from out of state.
    A weapon bought in the state would require the standard paperwork, background check and 7 day wait.
    Gotcha - Thanks

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I managed to find a copy on eBay of the December 2020 issue of the American Rifleman that has a great article on these Victory revolvers. I don't keep the old copies and in this case I wish I had.

I make up a folder of whatever documents I have or can find on each MilSurp I have in my collection and I really wanted this issue for the folder - That article is what got me interested in the Victory models in the first place.

Next, I will cough up the $100 for a S&W research letter.

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 4.22.54 PM.png

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Having an example of each is just about ideal for a collector, however, it may also lead you to go searching for a Colt Commando next.
    No , you need a Defense Contractor Victory first before any Colts.

( From the s/n range bought by the Government , sold thru the Defense Supply Corp to certain companies with war contracts to arm their Security forces against saboteurs . Victorys w/o Govt Property markings .)

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Finally got it home from the FFL after my 7-day wait.
    It cleaned up nice.
    Very happy with it.
    The scratch I put on it is hardly noticeable after a Lucas Oil CLP wipe down; no Turnbull restoration after all.
    This maybe my new favorite MilSurp.
    8 DEC_1.jpeg
    8 DEC_2.jpeg
    8 DEC_3.jpeg
    8 DEC_4.jpeg
    8 DEC_5.jpeg

pilotwithgun

Feb 21, 2013
    Very nice gun to shoot. It is also very practical to carry or use for home defense. You might consider acquiring a couple speedloaders for this and practicing with them. Also, they make .38 tracer if tracer doesn’t violate your range policy. Word to the wise- when somebody gifts you a coffee can of red-tipped .38, you are not hallucinating when you see orange flashes while firing them. It is tracer ammo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom