• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I know I have been MIA for a while but I opened a gun shop here in Florida and this walked in. I have to turn to you guys for info as Lugers are not my thing. What I do know is Its Police E/L marked gun It came from a very high end collection and although there was no paperwork with it, it was reportedly Wernher von Braun's luger (I know buy the gun, not the story).

What can you tell me about this? What should I price it at? The seller offered me what I thought was an attractive BIN price for me if I wanted it but I may just put it on the shelf.

What would you value this in a retail setting?

Attachments

• IMG_5862.jpg
      IMG_5862.jpg
      276 KB · Views: 95
    • IMG_5863.jpg
      IMG_5863.jpg
      283.6 KB · Views: 97
    • IMG_5864.jpg
      IMG_5864.jpg
      161.6 KB · Views: 93
    • IMG_5865.jpg
      IMG_5865.jpg
      131.4 KB · Views: 89
    • IMG_5867.jpg
      IMG_5867.jpg
      132.4 KB · Views: 90
    • IMG_5866.jpg
      IMG_5866.jpg
      140.9 KB · Views: 88
    • IMG_5868.jpg
      IMG_5868.jpg
      274.7 KB · Views: 95
    • IMG_5869.jpg
      IMG_5869.jpg
      303.6 KB · Views: 89
    • IMG_5870.jpg
      IMG_5870.jpg
      469.5 KB · Views: 96

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    It's going to be nigh impossible to sell it on a local level unless you know a die hard Luger collector...most people don't care about rare variants much less want to pay more for them. I have a rare P38 variant that no one wants because of such...but I'd say around $2500 to be conservative...would be more or less depending on the buyer...but I myself who does not collect or have interest in Lugers would not pay a dime more than regular common Luger prices for it.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Gun and mag alone is probably $3500-$3800 depending. There was a recently completed sale on GB for a matching 1940 Mauser Banner EL - Marked police luger that hammered at $3700.Add in the holster and tool and you'll get more. Only one mag? No spare?

Here's the listing mentioned above: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966222427
    It comes with the tool and extra magazine, but the extra magazine does not match. Just the one does.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It comes with the tool and extra magazine, but the extra magazine does not match. Just the one does.
    The second mag never does. Not sure why, but even my bring-back doesn't have the second mag matching.

@mawkie or one of the other C&R experts can likely give you a more definite figure, but with everything together in a retail setting, I'm thinking $4500-$5k isn't too far off base.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Not a lot of bidding for the GB example. I suspect you can make some money from the right buyer, but only if you can find him.

If you can spare the cash, and carry it on the books until Mr Wonderful finds you, go for it. In FL, there's a lot of old collectors waiting to die. Good pickings are likely, and if you're interested in angling for that sort of a business, your location might give you an advantage. . . . Just spitballing, of course.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    There's Gunbroker price, and then there's local on the shelf price. You should never charge a walk-in customer Gunbroker price...it's how a shop becomes a museum of unsellable guns in a short period of time. Buy it at a reasonable value, sell it cheaper than the online sales prices demand...your customers will remember it, and you'll still turn a profit....but what do I know? I only own a shop too haha.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That's a beautiful example. Time to do a detailed take-down and verify all matching parts. I'm expecting it to be all matching as it looks to have led a comfortable and well cared life. Mauser banner, all matching, including mag and a very nice period holster, ticks all the boxes. Probably in the $3500-4000 range retail in a brick and mortar shop. As mentioned, if you put it up for auction on GB and do a good job with the listing you'll probably squeeze out another $500, maybe more. Lugers are still hot in today's market and there are plenty willing to pay more for an outstanding example, like this one.
    Glad to hear you escaped the People's Republik of MD and are enjoying yourself in sunny Florida. Congratulations!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    That's because it was purchased outright as a Buy It Now for that price. There was zero chance for bidding after the first few bids hit since someone said "I'll buy it for that price."
    It's worth noting that the seller had posted it previously with a $3300 price tag, with no bids. A week later it sells for a $400 premium. I wasn't able to ascertain how long it remained listed before the buyer made his bid, but the earlier auction ended on 1/11, and the second on 1/15, so it's reasonable to guess that it was an immediate re-list.

Jul 1, 2012
    It's going to be nigh impossible to sell it on a local level unless you know a die hard Luger collector...most people don't care about rare variants much less want to pay more for them. I have a rare P38 variant that no one wants because of such...
    Shirley you jest :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom