• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Had no intention of buying another gun but then.....

I stumbled across this on a CMP Forum.
    I made the fella an offer and I now it's headed my way from PA.

It's been re-arsenaled / parkerized and the stock has been sanded but it retains a faint re-arsenal cartouche and it's original October 1917 barrel and most of the parts are "E" marked.

Not necessarily a collectors piece in the strictest sense of the term but it will fit nicely in my WWII collection.

According to my research, some did find their way into WWII, mainly with rear echelon units but there are some WWII pics of them being carried by mortar crews and even a few SeaBees.

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 5.20.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 5.20.57 PM.png

Last edited:

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Had no intention of buying another gun but then.....

I stumbled across this on a CMP Forum.
    I made the fella an offer and I now it's headed my way from PA.

It's been re-arsenaled / parkerized and the stock has been sanded but it retains a faint re-arsenal cartouche and it's original October 1917 barrel and most of the parts are "E" marked.

Not necessarily a collectors piece in the strictest sense of the term but it will fit nicely in my WWII collection.

According to my research, some did find their way into WWII, mainly with rear echelon units but there are some WWII pics of them being carried by mortar crews and even a few SeaBees.

View attachment 406850
    View attachment 406851
    Looks fine. As far as use in the second world war don't overlook them being used as lend-lease and sent to England and I think China and perhaps else where. In Britain the fore ends had a red band painted on to differ from the Pattern 14s so ammo would not be confused in the heat of battle. Used mostly by reserves I think.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My Uncle was a rear echelon clerk typist in Europe in 44-45. He was issued a 17 Enfield. Just an example of a 1917 Rifle serving in the ETO.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I fail to understand how it can take the USPS over 5 days to ship a Priority Mail box from West Chester, PA to Dunkirk, MD. It's 129 miles!

I should have just took a day off and went and got it!!

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Finally got it home. USPS delivered it to the Dunkirk Post Office instead of where it was addressed to which was Hero Quartermasters which is about three doors down from the Post Office.

The owner walked down to the Post Office to check, I guess this has happened before, and sure enough the Post Office had it...they said they would have delivered it when they got to it....SMH

Pretty happy with it. Nice shape but the stock has been sanded enough you can't read the cartouches. You can see that they are there but can't quite make out the letters.

I had to dig out one of the Garands because I couldn't remember how a M1907 sling goes together.

As a bonus, I scored a box of USGI issue .30-06 for it.

M1917 and Garand with slings.jpeg

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Looks nice. I have a couple of pieces that were re-arsenaled. Not a bad thing to have a nice piece you can actually go shoot. Enjoy!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Congrats on that rifle. I'm sure you will love it, especially if you plan to shoot it. I have owned and shot a wide variety of ww1/ww2 US rifles, and the best shooter hands down is my 1917. I have an Eddystone with its original October 1917 barrel just like yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom