• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    where in our LOVELY state can I go get a 1911 frame. I know I can order it from the internet, or brownell, or else, but ffl cost 75 plus these days. can i go somewhere in md to go get some 1911 frame and parts....

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A 1911 frame is an FFL item no matter where you get it. You will have to do a transfer anywhere which means you can't take possesion right now for at least 5-6 weeks after the paper work. I know after getting an STI frame so my gunsmith could build me a racegun for USPSA and SC. Lucky I did it a couple of years ago. If I did one now the season would be half over before I could take possesion of a finished gun.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You could also get the Ffl to sell you the frame. Ask what he wants for it and decide if you want to pay that for it. I'd suggest you get a smith familiar with the 1911 if you are going to have it built. If you are getting the frame for you to build and spec the gun to your likings then you may consider a whole base GI pattern gun you can modify as you go. You'll have a working base gun and you'll be focused on one aspect of the build at a time while learning the intricacies of the 1911.

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    You could also get the Ffl to sell you the frame. Ask what he wants for it and decide if you want to pay that for it. I'd suggest you get a smith familiar with the 1911 if you are going to have it built. If you are getting the frame for you to build and spec the gun to your likings then you may consider a whole base GI pattern gun you can modify as you go. You'll have a working base gun and you'll be focused on one aspect of the build at a time while learning the intricacies of the 1911.

i agree on this one. great idea and a way to learn how the 1911 is built. then once you have the GI style the way you want it then you pretty much know all the ins and out of the 1911 and therefore start with the frame build from the ground up. it is a very nice weapon and fairly simple to learn. good luck and happy building

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Great advice guys. I am working currently on a RIA gi 1911. I just wanted to know if in maryland, i could go to like a store and buy it for the same as brownell, or caspian, or fusion or other sources. i just dont like paying 75 bucks on top of the price. I build an ar last year, and a 100 stag arm lower, ended up costing almost 200 dollars(shipping, ffl)...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That may be the cost of bringing a serialized item into the state.
    Shipping is typically $12 to $25 for a bare frame. There is our state $10 background check fee. Plus FFL fees are $25 and up. Quick math indicates one needs to add at least $50 to what you buy a frame for to get it home.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Over the years I have occasionally seen a 1911 bare frame on a dlr shelf , but can't recall most recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom