• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am building a 1911 in 45ACP using a Stealth Arms tactical frame and Caspian slide.

I am looking at getting a threaded Storm Lake threaded barrel for the build. They have two options. One ramped and one not ramped.

Which would you recommend and why?

Looking for input before I spend the money. :innocent0

Thanks,

Dave

I have two 1911s, a Para (no ramp) and a Kimber (ramp). I have yet to notice a difference between the two. If you're building it in 45ACP my understanding is there is absolutely no difference in reliability or accuracy between the two. I'm actually about to start my own build and got a Storm Lake threaded barrel with no ramp and feel OK with this since I haven't read about any significant differences

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Frames come as either unramped or ramped so you need to buy the barrel type appropriate for that frame (meaning a frame without a built in ramp needs a ramped barrel and a frame with a built in ramp needs an unramped barrel). I have had both types myself and in the smaller calibers I prefer ramp barreled guns. In 45ACP it does not matter that much.

Frames come as either unramped or ramped so you need to buy the barrel type appropriate for that frame (meaning a frame without a built in ramp needs a ramped barrel and a frame with a built in ramp needs an unramped barrel). I have had both types myself and in the smaller calibers I prefer ramp barreled guns. In 45ACP it does not matter that much.

That's the one exception that I saw, where calibers smaller than .45ACP should have a ramped barrel.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Look at the top of the frame just in front of the magwell and behind the dustcover. If the frame metal there is even with the top of the frame or has a slight longitudinal depression it is an integral ramped frame (for unramped barrel). If that section is cut out a ramped barrel will be needed. If cut for a ramped barrel and the front vertical wall cut is rounded it would required a barrel with a Clark/Para ramp, if flat a Wilson/Nowlin ramped barrel is needed.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Look at the top of the frame just in front of the magwell and behind the dustcover. If the frame metal there is even with the top of the frame or has a slight longitudinal depression it is an integral ramped frame (for unramped barrel). If that section is cut out a ramped barrel will be needed. If cut for a ramped barrel and the front vertical wall cut is rounded it would required a barrel with a Clark/Para ramp, if flat a Wilson/Nowlin ramped barrel is needed.

Will take a look tonight if I get a chance. I have not cut the barrel seat yet but, will take a photo of the inside of the frame and post it if I can.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom