• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Need a little help. Recently picked up a Kimber TLE in 10mm for a trip in the back country of Montana. After the trio I dropped it off with my father to have him put an ambidextrous safety on it (he's lefty and I practice shooting with both hands). He's done two other Kimbers that we have without an issue. This one though has been problematic. After he installed the safety, the hammer won't drop. Tried several times, no luck. But now we can't even get the safety out of the frame. No amount of force seems to pull it out. I don't want to tear up the frame by prying on it, but I'm kind of stuck at this point. Any ideas before I take it somewhere?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It sounds like the block stid may not have been relievd enough.

Is this a thumb safety which does not use the dovetail and extended hammer pin? If so, remove the right side paddle first. That will allow the left side to be more easily wiggled out…maybe while slightly over cocking the hammer.

If it is the type which uses the extended dovetailed hammer pin, then slightly over cocking the hammer in tiny movements while trying to work out the left side may help.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013

Is this a thumb safety which does not use the dovetail and extended hammer pin? If so, remove the right side paddle first. That will allow the left side to be more easily wiggled out…maybe while slightly over cocking the hammer.

If it is the type which uses the extended dovetailed hammer pin, then slightly over cocking the hammer in tiny movements while trying to work out the left side may help.
    Thanks I will give that a try. It is a thumb safety, and it's a kimber part. I tried to remove the right side, but it seemed just as tight. Will give it a try again.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013

So I finally got it off. Took quite a bit of effort. Now to figure out what the issue is. I tried to reinstall the original and the hammer still won't drop, so I think something else is going on.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I did not. Was not the one originally doing the work. I've pretty much got it all apart now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom