• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I went and fitted some blocks for a guy that asked if I would help him out.
    He bought a clone rifle he told me and when it showed he wasn't happy with it. Some foolery had been at it, maybe even overspent on GB so I didn't ask.
    He wants to build another out thats already been botched on the front ring but no holes on the rear bridge so they'll be covered up in the front.
    Maybe he could sell it or something to help break even or keep it for a spare who knows. I let him know I didn't want anything for the work, I bought some stocks off him for a good deal some time ago anyway
    I asked him if he wanted me to do the handguard but he wants to tackle those himself which is fine but I get enjoyment doing stuff like that anyway. Mostly becuase the blocks and hand guard sort of go together I think but he wants to give it a go and enjoy his rifles for what he's got into them.
    If you ever go and do something like this be mindful that that the exterior surfaces are very hard and resistant to cutting through the surface hardening. Also, extra addention to detail for the front block needs additional focus becuase of the taper of the barrel and the diameter of the bore. Lastly, when tapping, take into account the tension created by the surface hardening that will grip your taps and could break them if not sufficiently annealed/broken to prevent that. I use a #28 carbide tipped drill bit for a spot which seems to do a good job becuase of the extra diameter over a #31. Once you get through that a decent bit will get it done easy enough with care and by not rushing through things.

Attachments

• DT 1.jpg
      DT 1.jpg
      578.5 KB · Views: 88
    • DT 2.jpg
      DT 2.jpg
      328.9 KB · Views: 91
    • DT3.jpg
      DT3.jpg
      265.4 KB · Views: 84

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Just did another one up. I had mine out the other day. Fun as hell to shoot with, blew a bunch of clays up someone left on the backer posts with regularity. Its 4moa from 100 to 300 with some tired old brass/ 150 gr fmjs.
    Anyway, this one was mistreated with some holes in the ring so what I did was drilled some more for the blocks.
    But because the barrel is new, I moved the back block rearwards enough to where the front block gets drilled, someone else can just add another hole forward to get the correct spacing for 1/4 minute clicks if they ever switch the barrel out to another rifle. I dont know if that will ever need to happen but who knows.
    If your slick and have the right stuff, you can add a grub screw to where the old holes are out of line then drill a new one right/half into- next to it but the guy didn't want me do it.
    Owner is older, doesent care about history much he said. He helped create it as far as I know. DGAF. Work is gratis for the old man. I dont know how many more spam cans he has left in this world so I dont care neither.

Attachments

• 1903 w blocks.jpg
      1903 w blocks.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 67
    • IMG_1315.jpg
      IMG_1315.jpg
      311.8 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members